• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good time to join the NMLRA!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody (especially folks new to the hobby/sport of muzleloading), I just want to put in a plug for the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc. since now would be a good time to join up or renew your membership. I read sooooo many first timers questions here in the forums that have been well covered over the years in the NMLRA's monthly magazine (MuzzleBlasts) which makes it a great resource for answering those questions plus every month the magazine is loaded with other great articles about the history of muzzleloading firearms. I learned so much from reading MB when I first got started in this hobby it made it worth the membership fee all by itself! We NEED the NMLRA and they need us, to help keep this great sport and hobby of ours alive for years to come. So if you are not already a member please join up and if you are already a member, don't forget to renew! Well, I just wanted to get that out there 'cause I think it's important to us all. Thanks!

Ive joined off and on..WHATS the benefit? I get a magazine thats about building guns which i dont do.Then theres something about history of yesteryear about something i couldnt care about.5 pages of Scores from there shooting in indiana that iam never doing.All i get is something i dont need is a card to shoot at the territorials which my NRA membership already covers.I DONT EVER see anything about hunting mayby 2 articles a year or NOTHING about the states territorials or scores..all for 60.00 a year..ill pass

I understand and that's totally your choice but, I know first hand what a help the club's members and the magazine Muzzleblast was to me, especially my first couple years in this hobby. Flintlocks can be really tough at first without some helpful articles to refer to (which is why YouTube is also very helpful) but I still believe we all should support what little organized representation we have in this sport. Tha's just my humble opinion. I'm not always thrilled with the NRA or GOA either but I'm a member of both because I believe we firearms owners need all the help we can get these days.

Hey everybody (especially folks new to the hobby/sport of muzleloading), I just want to put in a plug for the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc. since now would be a good time to join up or renew your membership. I read sooooo many first timers questions here in the forums that have been well covered over the years in the NMLRA's monthly magazine (MuzzleBlasts) which makes it a great resource for answering those questions plus every month the magazine is loaded with other great articles about the history of muzzleloading firearms. I learned so much from reading MB when I first got started in this hobby it made it worth the membership fee all by itself! We NEED the NMLRA and they need us, to help keep this great sport and hobby of ours alive for years to come. So if you are not already a member please join up and if you are already a member, don't forget to renew! Well, I just wanted to get that out there 'cause I think it's important to us all. Thanks!
I've been member for years, always look forward to the magazine. (I'm #538 of 1-of-1000, also.) There's only about what, 15,000 members but many more than that hunt w/ muzzleloaders. Many ML hunters aren't into the historical aspect of the hobby, but the NMLRA is a great organization. You can see the number of magazines they send out in their yearly legal notice in the magazine. I think it may have declined over the last decade or so. Thanks for your "plug"!

Steve Martin? you sure have changed since those "wild and crazy guys" days.
Thanks for the plug - does the national club do anything to promote and/or protect our "hobby" from the evil ones in D.C.?

Steve Martin? you sure have changed since those "wild and crazy guys" days.
Thanks for the plug - does the national club do anything to promote and/or protect our "hobby" from the evil ones in D.C.?
I don't recall that the NMLRA is involved with Washington, DC, but it's always a good thing to have such organizations. The NRA really is the heavy-hitter dealing with DC.

Ive joined off and on..WHATS the benefit? I get a magazine thats about building guns which i dont do.Then theres something about history of yesteryear about something i couldnt care about.5 pages of Scores from there shooting in indiana that iam never doing.All i get is something i dont need is a card to shoot at the territorials which my NRA membership already covers.I DONT EVER see anything about hunting mayby 2 articles a year or NOTHING about the states territorials or scores..all for 60.00 a year..ill pass
This group is 100 times better i love to support and put my money here on this forum 1000x more better and much greater variety of such great people and things to do

Would NOT having the NMLRA around do anything to help us out up in DC? Look folks, if you got an issue with the NMLRA then at least take the time to let them know it maybe more than once. I really was just trying to let the newcomers to this sport/hobby know about the organization and to make them aware of the very nice, quality magazine the NMLRA puts out (which honestly, I think is well written and helpful). I also love history or else I probably would not have ever bothered to get into owning and shooting flintlocks to begin with. I understand the people out west not liking the fact they are often "forgotten about" but maybe you could convince the NMLRA to create a "western division" or something. Living in Florida we sometimes feel a bit overlooked as well but all that aside I still hope those new to muzzleloader shooting will check out the national organization and the Muzzleblast magazine!

20 of us shoot and 5 are members.Those that are members have the time and money to go to friendship iniana where theres a heck of alot of people that are into muzzleloading.BEST EVER is this forum to connect with things to do and places that are having events

Would NOT having the NMLRA around do anything to help us out up in DC? Look folks, if you got an issue with the NMLRA then at least take the time to let them know it maybe more than once. I really was just trying to let the newcomers to this sport/hobby know about the organization and to make them aware of the very nice, quality magazine the NMLRA puts out (which honestly, I think is well written and helpful). I also love history or else I probably would not have ever bothered to get into owning and shooting flintlocks to begin with. I understand the people out west not liking the fact they are often "forgotten about" but maybe you could convince the NMLRA to create a "western division" or something. Living in Florida we sometimes feel a bit overlooked as well but all that aside I still hope those new to muzzleloader shooting will check out the national organization and the Muzzleblast magazine!

Thanks for your efforts.

I knew when I read the title there was going to be a lot nah, nah, nah coming forth with.

For those who say I am not goin to Friendship, how many NRA members' go to the NRA Range and compete in New Mexico? Enough said

Please explain the law suit of which you posted about.

The MNLRA dropped the Western Shoot because those west of the Mississippi did not support the shoot and the number of registered shooters dropped each year. I went for 11 years and most of the shooters were from "east" of the river.

Please explain the law suit of which you posted about.

The MNLRA dropped the Western Shoot because those west of the Mississippi did not support the shoot and the number of registered shooters dropped each year. I went for 11 years and most of the shooters were from "east" of the river.
On the contrary, the western primitive nationals always showed a profit, and the boys back east wanted a bigger cut. I seem to recall they wanted ALL the money sent to them, and then to give back what they thought was needed for the next year. The lawsuit continued for around 18 months I seem to recall. Western Nationals cut all ties with them, becoming Rocky Mountain National Rendezvous. Maybe you weren't aware of the joint rendezvous back then?

The territorial was dropped here in maine last year,,the director told this 75 year old that busted his arse with him and wife doing it ...that ...You WILL send in all the paper work of the scores in 2 weeks after the compititions over.Guess he pushed the wrong buttons on him because he said OH YEAH..I DONT LIKE your attitude and said thats it done with it.

,I just want to put in a plug for the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc.
Not a fan.
The "local" NMLRA group you participate with may be good folks, and I hope they are, nation wide.
But that's not always the case. Our regional leaders group consider themselves "elite", they are selective within their group and judgmental of others.
Those concerns have been brought to the national leadership many times and have been disregarded without concern,
(just bring your checkbook and make it payable too,, is the answer)
I was fooled by them for several years,, I'm done,, won't happen again.

Back