• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good books.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntnut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just about done with THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE great book so far. I found it in a box of stuff when we moved. I didn't even know we had it. I have been reading a couple chapters every night in bed.
\
If you havn't read it yet go find a copy.

I have also just finished reading Crow Killer and The Journals of Lewis and Clark
These are also to great books to read.

Man, I forgot about that book. Audy Murphy starred in the movie version that I remember.

That's a great story and film. I believe there was a remake maybe 20 or so years ago with the kid that played John-Boy on the Waltons. Not bad, but I liked the Audie Murphy version better.

If you have the time and inclination, get a hold of the series of books by Allan Eckert, starting with the Frontiersmen. There are six or seven books in the series and although they are fictional you will find them to be pretty close to historical. Undaunted courage is also one not to be missed.
Mark

The Frontiersman is my all time favorite book. I think I have read it 7 times. Just a Awesome book........

:thumbsup:

The frontiersman is a great book. You may also want to try "That dark and bloody river" by allen Ekert. I'm in the middle of that and its good so far.

Eckert's books straddle the line between history and fiction. By his own account, he makes up conversations based on the letters/journals of the people involved and papers like the Draper manuscripts. I've read Wilderness Empire, The Wilderness War, That Dark and Bloody River, and I've got about 75 pages left in The Conquerors. Probably start The Frontiersmen tonight. They are good books,and while I wouldn't quote them for a scholarly paper, I will recommend them to my history students.

The Journals of Lewis and Clark are excellent, as is Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, also about Lewis and Clark.

I would also highly recommend Flexner's Lord of the Mohawks and one called White Devil, I think by Brumwell, on Rogers' Rangers. For an overview of the F&I War, the best I've read is Fred Anderson's The Crucible of War.

Older classics include A.B. Guthrie's The Big Sky and the other books in the series. There's a lot of good stuff out there. :v

Back