• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gonnes & Powder Flasks??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Riegl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:grin: Colour me happy, I went to the range this morning and fired my .60 Handgonne---it makes heads turn with that B-O-0-0-0-0-M-M!!!! Now whether I can figure a way to aim this at a target at 50 feet for the Handgonne Postal, we shall see, only time & practise will tell. I was set to thinking, ( a rarity ), how did the medieval hand canon shooters carry their powder, in the "field"???? Did they use a type of flask,any knowledge out there on this topic. Of course references or pix ( if available) would help. Maybe I may have to go into NYC (shudder) and visit the Met Museum of Art, who has a grest collection of arms & armor. Then I think the next step will be a call to the Buck works to order a matchlock. Good idea Teleoceras? :v :hatsoff:

That's an area still lost in the mists of time.

The earliest Gonners used a communal cask of powder. They would run up and grab a handful of powder and return to the line. Or a powder monkey would ladle it out for them. However, after a few incidents where powder somehow came in contact with lit match, this fell out of favor and powder flasks came to be.

I have seen flasks, both metal and wood, in a trapezoid shape, flasks made from antlers, horn and wood. Shaped like a flatten wine cask. It runs the gamit.

Early military musketeers used what were termed apostles, twelve small wooden or metal bottles, each carrying the proper charge of powder.

CP

Pasquenel:

Then I think the next step will be a call to the Buck works to order a matchlock. Good idea Teleoceras? :v :hatsoff:

Yes, I recommend John Buck's Matchlocks. I own two of his arms (.75 Matchlock and .54 Serpentine Lock) and have a lot of fun with them.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I use a hard leather flask shaped like a bottle narrow on top wide on bottom..simple is best..

I've seen a few references to leather powder bags worn at the belt. Haven't really researched it yet, so I don't know whether its some 19th century bogus bit of research thats been repeated umpteen times or the truth. All I know is it must have been DANGEROUS!

Like I say I'm hesitent even to mention it: so many books came out in the 1960's and 1970's have beautiful pictures and large print runs, but are full of s**t that one author copied from another without researching properly

I think the communal powder barrel was called the budge or something like that.

My earliest flask was bow sawn out of a piece of wood and them blocked in with brass plates and fittings. The cap held the saw entry cut closed :thumbsup:

flask.jpg

Hey! An Italian flask. Looks like Rommulus and Remulus, th' founders of Rome, a-suckin' on that ol' she-wolf that raised'em. I have one like it hanging in my shop. Cheers, Bookie

"Budge barrel" it was! Have seen a number that were made from the heavy leg bone of what I suppose was cow or ox. Missed my chance to get one several years ago done by one of the local guys. It was heavily carved and scrimshawed like those you see in some of the books covering early guns, etc. Many even had an early version of the spring loaded type seen on later copper/brass flasks.

I saw one a few years back from East Timor... looked like HUMAN thigh bone to me
I was so creeped out I didn't buy it.
It was so cheap too...oh well... :hmm:

Back