• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gonna help a bunch of foreign students shoot my BB.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CommodoreHull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So in two weeks a CCW instructor from my church will be taking 30+ Chinese college students shooting. I'll be there along with a couple other folks to help maintain safety and I'm thinking of bringing along my Bess.

Should be a fun chance for them to experience a wide range of American freedom....22s, an AR, and AK. Particularly since they won't get to touch any of this stuff back home. The Bess should round out the group nicely.

What do you all use for fun targets that won't be too tough to hit? I think they're shooting at 25yds or so. I was thinking 2L soda bottles. Obviously paper works just fine but I'd like something a little more fun.

I'll post pics after the event.

PS: Thanks to everyone who helped with my previous question on cleaning my Bess. Gonna start shooting and enjoying it now after a hiatus on the "evil black rifle" side of the hobby. :shocked2:

With a Bess, bigger targets are better. I think I would need a 5 gallon bottle if I hoped to hit it with regularity. I think gallon milk bottles would be better than 2 liter bottles.

Yeah man do it.
While an AK & AR may be fun, the funniest fun is the flint gun.
You just watch the mile wide grins on their dials.
Targets with instant sight or sound feed back are good, big water bottle or big gong. Go big on the targets because they make a good shooter out of all of us & good shooters feel good about themselves.
O.

Be prepared to steal the show.

A few years ago, I was at the shooting range rather late in the day so there weren't a lot of people there.

Up pulls a SUV and the driver (American) and 7 oriental people got out.
I have no idea where they were from but none of them spoke English.

He set a number of modern pistols and rifles on the bench and proceeded to let each of them fire his guns. They were mildly interested in it.

I loaded up my flintlock rifle and fired it.
Suddenly, all 7 of the visitors were standing behind me talking and pointing.

I loaded another round and fired it down the range. (Another shot in the black I might add.)

More excited pointing and talking so I walked over to the driver and asked him to ask them if they would like to try shooting a "old time flintlock".

That really got the talking (which I couldn't understand) going and the driver said they would be very grateful for the opportunity.

I loaded the rifle leaving it unprimed with the cock down and pointed to one of them indicating he should sit down on the little bench that was at each table. I then handed him the rifle.

As he pointed it downrange, I cocked the cock and primed the pan, closed the frizzen and said, "shoot" with a smile on my face.

After it fired, not only was the shooter grinning from ear to ear but all of the rest of them were talking, pointing and laughing.
I gave each one of them one shot (including the girls).

As I say, I don't know where they were from but each one of them acted like I gave them the biggest, best, most enjoyable fun they had ever had in their lives.

It certainly made their day. :grin:

I would go along with the gallon milk jugs also. They give a soul satisfying splash. I have had similar experiences at my club range. Almost always when a modern shooter comes out ( especially with a young shooter in tow) I will have to suspend my procedures and explain what the heck I'm doing with that " musket loader, Dan'l Boon gun, Etc.". I usually end up having the " back loaders" shoot . As you all know we all hate it when anyone shows interest. Most all leave with a wide grin, including me, And those little demos. Help dispel some of the myths about muzzle loading. Even more fun is when you help a new front loader. Have fun with your group. I guarantee they will be talking about you and your gun all the way home.

Back