• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Golden Age Arms Hawken kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After putting together several Lyman, Investarms kits I had several catalogs and really liked the kits offered by GAA, I dont even think they are in business anymore, but I still have their catalog. Being a Hawken fan already, I ordered one of their kits. These were a much more labor intensive kit than the others I had slapped together, much more. .54 cal with Green Mountain barrel, 1-66 twist IIRC.

I cannot brag about my inletting but its passable and the rifle always fires and behaves properly and still looks pretty good after many years, mostly hanging on the wall, had a lot of dust to wipe off!

Shortly after completion wife, daughter and I went camping up in the mountains near Mt Ranier, down on the Bumping River and I nailed this target up on a tree and had some fun shooting it. Some years later I wrote up the build in Gun World magazine when I was a semi regular contributor there when Jan Libourel was still editor.

Attachments

• IMG_5796.JPG
    IMG_5796.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5798.JPG
    IMG_5798.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5801.JPG
    IMG_5801.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5802.JPG
    IMG_5802.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5803.JPG
    IMG_5803.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5806.JPG
    IMG_5806.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5807.JPG
    IMG_5807.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5809.JPG
    IMG_5809.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5808.JPG
    IMG_5808.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 0
Nicely done!!

Golden age has been out of business for years. I had the opportunity to visit the shop once. It was amazing! Sure have been a lot of shops go by the wayside since I got started 25 years ago.

That is a righteous Hawken, my friend. :thumb:

I remember Golden Age Arms from their ads in Muzzle Blasts magazine as early as the 1960’s. They were a major supporter of the NMLRA and their ad was generally a two-page spread. I was not much involved with muzzleloading from the late seventies until into the nineties, and I don’t know when they went out of business. I think kit guns in those days required a lot more of the builders than now, and you did a fabulous job on that rifle. The fit and finish are really good, and the overall coloration of wood and metal has aged to a beautiful patina. It looks to be a shooter, too!

I like everything about that rifle. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

That is a righteous Hawken, my friend. :thumb:

I remember Golden Age Arms from their ads in Muzzle Blasts magazine as early as the 1960’s. They were a major supporter of the NMLRA and their ad was generally a two-page spread. I was not much involved with muzzleloading from the late seventies until into the nineties, and I don’t know when they went out of business. I think kit guns in those days required a lot more of the builders than now, and you did a fabulous job on that rifle. The fit and finish are really good, and the overall coloration of wood and metal has aged to a beautiful patina. It looks to be a shooter, too!

I like everything about that rifle. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob
I thank you for your kind words, much appreciated.

Back