• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gold-Mounted French Flintlock Box-lock Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Rare Historic Presentation Gold-Mounted French Flintlock Box-lock Carbine by Nicolas-Noel Boutet a' Versailles, c. 1806, Carabine de Botte
17-inch round rifled turn-off barrel with a swivel-ring, decorated with an intermingled array of stars (seme) and quatro-foils between two large panels of gilt drapery, stars and floral motifs - the uppermost with the addition of a goose, octagonal breech engraved with Sphinx, classical faces and intertwined sea-serpents and struck three times BOUTET and additionally struck with three poincons depicting Napoleonic eagles, single gold-band and gold-inlaid touch-hole, the underside of breech inscribed BOUTET A VERSAILLES; breech extension engraved with wypherns, birds and two monkeys (in the manner of Jean-Baptiste Oudry), semi-rainproof pan with early type frizzen-mounted roller, the frizzen itself embellished with two birds drinking from a cup, cock with bird motif, back-action lock-plate with nude youth whispering into the ear of a resting lion, vermeil silver counterplate depicting a hunting scene; the triggerguard, acting as a release for the barrel is engraved with a winged nude woman, the two-part (take-down) walnut stock exhuberantly embellished with extensive, engraved gold panels overall forming draperies and floral motifs with an owl at grip, geese at comb and stork belly, musical instruments, the family crest of the important Spanish noble family of Guzman, silver buttplate with hallmarks, with side panels of drinking birds with gilt grounds, the comb set with a high-relief mythological figure wearing armor.
Given by King Jose I of Spain (Joseph Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon I) to the Duque de Medina-Sidonia in 1806. Don Francisco de Borja Alvarez de Toledo y Gonzaga (1763 - 1821), was the XVI Duque de Medina-Sidonia. His ancestor, Don Alonso Perez de Guzman, VII Duque de Medina-Sidonia was admiral of the Spanish Armada in 1588. Two other such gold-mounted carbines (Carabine de Botte Brisee) are known in museum collections; one given to Joseph Bonaparte in the museum at Versailles, the other present by Napoleon I to General Count Jean Rapp at the Musee de la Chasse, Paris. Additionally, the Rapp Carbine was bequeathed to the French Government in 1958, and exhibited at the Musee de l'Armee in 1965 as Number 948. See Manufacture Nationale, Imperiale et Royale 1793 - 1818: La Manufacture d'Armes de Versailles et Nicolas-Noel Boutet.
DSC00020.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

:hatsoff:

Herr Undertaker Your contributions to this foum
are incredible!!!! Thankyou for all of us...

Well, I like the sideplate, and the engraved tiger. Lion's cool too, but homey needs a diaper. :shake:

The rest of it? Melt the gold down and buy a man's gun. :rotf:

How big do you supose the touch hole is? Looks like it would shoot fire out the side as well as the barrel.

Maybe a gold or platinum touchole liner is missing?

I didn't do it! :haha:

I can imagine the touch hole is heavily coned on the outside.

While it is well done, I have to say, it ain't the prettiest gun I ever seen.

:grin:

Back