• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Pinnacle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atki

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First, so I don't have to hear it from the purists,
I shoot black powder out of my personal guns. But I have to keep two dozen bP rifles shooting all day without a lot of time to clean.

Has anyone used Goex Pinnacle black powder substitute? They claim that it is real clean. I have used Triple 7 and was not that impressed.

WB

As long as you have spit in your mouth, you have enough to clean any gun all day long. Pinnacle burns at a higher temp, just like the other subs. Its NOT black powder. Nuff' Said. If you have 2 dozen guns being fired all the time, it means that you have 2 dozens helpers there, all with their own volume of spit. Let them help clean between shots. Its a good learning experience, and will teach them the necesssity of patience, and concentration when they are around guns. Don't rob them of that lesson. :thumbsup:

WeaselBreath said:
I shoot black powder out of my personal guns. But I have to keep two dozen bP rifles shooting all day without a lot of time to clean.

Has anyone used Goex Pinnacle black powder substitute? They claim that it is real clean. I have used Triple 7 and was not that impressed.

WB
WB, haven't tried Pinnacle but can tell you this from a lot of experience the past two years...if you'll use Hoppes No9 PLUS BP solvent & patch lube, you can just keep right on using real BP...its an incredible product for actually keeping a bore clean...I can shoot a 50 shot range session without wiping between shots and barely a trace of color comes out in the bucket of hot water with the first 'pump flush' with a patch when I clean it back at the house...after that, additional patches are totally clean.

I dump a bag of 100 precut patches (either dry or prelubed) into a ziploc bag, squeeze a few squirts of Hoppes in there, squish everything around until they're all saturated and I use them glistening wet...they're just outstanding...especially in dry, low humidity climates when some other lubes are not wet enough.

WeaselBreath, after several years of reading roundballs raves about the hoppes lube and solve I picked up a bottle and tried it. It does indeed work as he states!

Another thing that works is plain old kitchen liquid soap and water. I mix mine 1 part soap to eight parts water. The basis for the formula is that a small bottle of bottled water is eight ounces and I just add one ounce of soap to it. :haha: Hows that for scientific! The soap adds just enough slippum to make it easy to load and it wipes the bore as you load so just as with the Hoppes, you can just shoot all day long. I drip about 7 or eight drops from a small squeeze bottle on a precut square patch or a strip of patching and then cut at the muzzle.

We have been using Lehigh Valley with good results. Fortunately, I have a case of it, and that should last a while. Just trying to make the job easier. In one day, these guys are fired almost hundred times each. I need all the help I can get to keep 'em shooting.

wb

I'll hafta toss my recommendation in for the Hoppe's black powder lube also. When I first began shooting muzzleloaders, I didn't even know there were other lubes, or that you could make your own. The local gun store only stocked Hoppe's so that's the only one I used for years. I never knew you were supposed to swab the bore as you went. I never needed too. At least until I started tinkering with other lubes and homemade formulas! :haha:

I tried the lehigh valley lube about 6 years ago and liked it very much. It's kinda pricey and now they claim the formula is changed and it's not as good as before. I dunno anything about that though.

There are some guys who like the old formula so well you could probably make a pretty penny off your case of lube. :shocked2:

I played around with some alcohol based formulas and a few other ideas looking for a lube similar to the lehigh valley but in the end, for range and target shooting where it's load and shoot immediately the soap and water works great. I'll probably do the hoppes for hunting where the load will be left in the barrel for a while so's to avoid rusting from the soap and water lube.

OK, back to the original question. Yes, Pinnacle is pretty clean. I didn't use it enough to say you can skip cleaning all day or not. It gives lower velocities than other substitutes or real black powder but reasonable accuracy. If you just want to make a bunch of guns go bang it's worth a try.

Once I got a decent supply of real black powder I gave away about 3/4 pound of Pinnacle and about 1/2 pound 777 to a coworker that uses those other kind of rifles that loads from the front.

Dale

WeaselBreath said:

WB

The short answer is that if you are using flintlocks, don't use Pinnacle or any other substitute.

If you are shooting percussion caps, then sure it will work. If you are shooting flintlocks, the substitutes all have an ignition point about 375° to 400° higher than real black powder and are unreliable at best.

When I was trying to find some real BP years ago for my flintlock in VT, I had some Pyrodex that I tried and I never could get it to fire at all in my flintlock. I then tried some 777 which would work once in a while. Then I found a supplier of BP about 6 miles away (supplied explosives to a local slate mine) and never had a problem with my powder not working again.

In my experience with a percussion cap pistol and in an unmentionable modern muzzle-loader that has been sitting in the closet for the last 5-6 years, the Pyrodex was worse than real BP as far as cleaning went and the 777 easily cleaned up totally much easier than real BP with very little effort using just water (no sulphur in it). Can't tell you about the Pinnacle except that it is a substitute with a higher ignition temp than the real stuff.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I have tried pinnacle just to see what it was all about. Haven't gotten the accuracy that I can with black powder but it doesn't foul as much. This is in a cap not flint gun. Gave all my pyrodex away and shooting only the real stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Back