• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Give Your Heart to the Hawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tward2

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm currently reading this book filled with insane stories of mountain men. For instance, how Hugh Glass was mauled by a bear and left for dead only to crawl two hundred miles to a town. Anyone ever read it? I highly recommend checking it out.

It's a fun book, one I read back in highschool. Fired my enthusiasm for the western fur trade. Just be aware that Blevins never let history get in the way of a good story (although it's reasonably accurate), and he puts a Hawken rifle and Green River knife in the hands of every mountaineer.

Rod

There is a plaque about Hugh Glass (try Googleing his name & click on images) Says it was 190 miles as the crow flies, from where he was left to fort Kiowa. I know he floated part of it, but thats a heck of a treck with a broke leg you set your self & ribs showing from a bear attack!

I first read it 35 years ago. It is a bit on the fantastic side but there is a kernel of truth in most of the stories. The Hugh Glass story is generally credited as being true, if not somewhat embellished - Mountain Men did that you know. A movie, called Man in the Wilderness starring Richard Harris as Glass' character who I believe was called "Bass" instead of Glass, came out some years back. It was pretty good but really lacking in authenticity in more ways than you can count. Enjoy the book but don't take it too seriously.

Yes, the Hugh Glass story stands out for me. If I remember correctly in the book, his friend was the one who was dismembered by Indians right in front of him and had his remains thrown in his face...it's crazy stories like that that makes this book a page turner.

This is the book that started me on my life long love affair with the Fur Trade Era.

" This is the book that started me on my life long love affair with the Fur Trade Era. "

Thanks, I was searching amazon for 'mountain man' books, there were 100's ! I guess this one will be on my purchase list...

Reason for so many: a couple guys wrote a series of books on 1 fictional character, each has about 30 to 60 books in the series !

Latest posts

Back