• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

get on paper at 25 yardsSights on a Lyman ifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Smoken 50. I have a Traditions 50 caliber that has the more modern sights and is very accurate, and has brought deer home in the past. That Lyman kit just turned out to need more know how than I could muster, guess I'm more modern than I want to admit. That Lyman does look very nice and I like a 54 for Elk but if I'm still wrestling with it come October I have the Traditions to use. That one should be adequate for Elk if needed.
Thank all of you for the advice. Just bought a set of small files and will work on the rear notch, and then if needed after more shooting I will work on the front blade. File the backsite lower will lower point of impact. File the frontsite lower will raise point of impact. I'll go slow but if things get screwed up I have 2 more rear sites and 1 more frontsite to use.

If you are going to change the sights I would recommend getting the brass drift for it. TOW has it for $3.99 That it is cheap money for making the swap much easier. Link

90 g of 777 is probably a pretty stout load for that rifle. IIRC 777 loose powder loads are supposed to be reduced by 15% so that 90g of 777 is equal to about 105g of real black powder. I don't know what the upper limit of your rifle is but you should check the manual to make sure that you are not exceeding the maximum charge.

I shoot 85g of Goex (real black powder) out of my 50 cal CVA for a whitetail hunting load which would be equal to about 72g of 777. In my case Goex performed much better in my rifle. A lighter load will be easier on the shoulder while you are trying to break in the rifle. JMO

Bob

The Hogden website has 777 loads for various calibers and bullets, balls, sabots, cap and ball, pellets, etc. They recommend 80 to 120 loose grains 777 ffg for 54 caliber PRB. I believe they had 230 grain balls, mine are 226 grains, they had a .020 patch and I have a .015 but I think I'm still in the ballpark but will check Lyman for details.
For breaking in I will probably go to reduced loads, I have some Pyrodex that has not been used in a while and need to use it up.

Just remember, 777 is quite a bit hotter than Pyrodex and black powder.

In fact, I'm surprised that they recommend a 120 grain load with it.

Hodgdons data says that a load of 777 should be reduced 15 percent to be equivalent to a black powder load so, using their 120 grain load would be the equivalent of using 138 grains of black powder.

Most modern factories limit their recommended powder loads to 120 grains so a 138 grain equivalent would be almost 20 grains over max.

Also keep in mind when shooting 777 that because it is a hotter powder it has a reputation for burning patches.

If the patch burns thru where the ball pinches it against the bore the accuracy of the shot will go to H*** in an instant.

Zonie said:
Just remember, 777 is quite a bit hotter than Pyrodex and black powder.

In fact, I'm surprised that they recommend a 120 grain load with it.

Hodgdons data says that a load of 777 should be reduced 15 percent to be equivalent to a black powder load so, using their 120 grain load would be the equivalent of using 138 grains of black powder.

Most modern factories limit their recommended powder loads to 120 grains so a 138 grain equivalent would be almost 20 grains over max.

Also keep in mind when shooting 777 that because it is a hotter powder it has a reputation for burning patches.

If the patch burns thru where the ball pinches it against the bore the accuracy of the shot will go to H*** in an instant.

Won't be too easy on your nipple either! You might find just as you've got her settled-in, that your groups open-up and you're not sure why! So check that nipple more often for erosion when using T-7!

Good luck with the Pyrodex--it will get you on paper fine!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Once she settles-down and you get used to her, you'll be able to cut playing cards in half with that rifle!

I don't know Dave - that would take an AWFUL lot of filing on the barrel. Now, maybe if you had a bayonet installed... :rotf: :youcrazy:

:hatsoff: :applause: :bow: That's a GOOD ONE! :rotf: :haha: .

But I'm in Jersey, so would that then be considered an assault rifle? :hmm: :shake: :shocked2:

Almost! It's over .50 calber and a bayonet. I think you still need a high cap mag, a pistol grip, a flash hider and give it a floding stock :blah: :rotf: Don't give the government any ideas! :cursing:

Back