• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

George Shroyer inspired colonial longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw an article in an old Muzzle Blasts about a rifle attributed to George Shreyer, (Shroyer). I really liked the lines on the rifle, and decided my first real longrifle would be as close a copy as I could get from the pictures. The original is pictured at Parker firearms website. I want to thank them for posting pictures I used to help me in my build. I think Shroyer was in Berks co. when the original rifle was made in the 1760's, and later moved to York Co, Pa.

I ordered a 48" barrel from Charles Burton, 1 1/16" at the breach, tapering to 7/8, and flaring to 15/16" as the article described. I used a Davis Colonial American 1 screw lock. I used the widest buttplate I could find, (2 1/8th"), and a nice walnut blank from Dunlap woodcrafts. I made the 1 piece nosecap, and thimbles, as well as the tapered ramrod. The trigger guard was bent, brazed and filed to closely match the original. The patchbox came from TOW, and I filed and pierced it to look more like the original. I will have it engraved later.

I finished the wood with a couple coats of linseed oil followed by 6 coats of my home made turpene violin varnish. I still need to let the varnish harden a few weeks, and rub it down to finish.

I don't own a good camera, and the following pictures are very poor quality, but I hope they give a good idea of the basic shape and "feel" of the rifle.
Chuck
Here is my 19 year old critic, Tommy.
Colonial York Co. rifle 3 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York Co. rifle 2 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York co. rifle1 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York Co. rifle 5 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York Co. rifle 6 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York Co. rifle 7 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York Co. rifle 8 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York co. rifle 9 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York co. rifle 10 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial York co. rifle 11 by okawbow, on Flickr

Colonial rifle rear sight by okawbow, on Flickr

George Shreyer (various spellings) is one of those makers that I'm just going to have to try and recreate myself one day - he's just part of a long list at this point.

George began his apprenticeship in 1753 in Hanover, under direction of Nicholas Hachen (Hawken). When Nicholas died in 1758, George relocated to Reading and finished his training under Nicholas's brother Wolfgang (who changed his surname to Haga).

So George was trained in gun building by none other than the Grandfather and Great Uncle of the very famous Hawken brothers (Jake and Sam).

In 1760 he opened his own shop in Reading and by 1775 he had moved back to Hanover.

There is significant evidence (argued both ways) that he (Shreyer) had one very noted apprentice - John Armstrong, whose work while set up in Emmitsburg, MD has resulted in rifles selling well into the six figures when they come to auction today.

(ok, enough of the history)

From your pictures it looks like you have done a fine job capturing the essence of a rifle built by Shreyer in his early years.

If you run out of room in your gun cabinet, I would like to volunteer to store it for you - free of charge of course :haha:

Hi. Even thou I am not schooled in gun making I can hardley tell a J.P. Beck from a Bean mt. rifle. I can tell a nice rifle when I see one. Nice job thanks for posting.

Heh! Nice rifle! I like that rear sight, did you make that? Tommy is nice n healthy for 19!!!...congrats on that achievement.....they become part of the family.....and hopefully, Tommy don't "insist" on a "playbreak" every 20min.... :youcrazy:
Walnut is a real PITA to get a good fill and finish isn't it??? But you got that long barrel bedded well :shocked2:
Tell us how she shoots please when you get the time :grin:
:bow: nice job!
Next?
Marc

Thanks for the kind words.

I made the sight with a hacksaw and files. There wasn't anything close enough available ready made.

I shot the rifle yesterday for the first time. That long, heavy barrel really makes for a steady hold offhand. It shot right where I was aiming every time. I only tried 1 load-80gr, 3f, denim patch, spit lube. Lock time was super fast. I really didn't expect that, as the big Davis lock takes a musket size flint.

My old cat, Tommy has lived in Spain, Hawaii, California, and Illinois. My son saved him from the gas chamber in Rota, Spain, in 97, when someone had to leave him behind, when they were shipped out. He took him along where ever they were stationed, until a few years ago, when they were stationed in Italy, and he was going to have to leave tommy in quarantine for several weeks. I have had him since then, and he's been a great pet. More like a dog than a cat. Getting slower now, but still goes out and does the rounds.

I always liked the lines of the Shroyer guns and you have done a really nice job in capturing the essence of his guns. I'm also a big fan of Siamese cats. Everyone we've ever had was very affectionate and displayed dog like characteristics. We had one when I was a kid that would play fetch as long as you wanted to throw his ball. He would always bring it back and drop it in a shoe. Sadly none have ever made it to 19 years old. Thanks for sharing the pics of your rifle and your buddy!

Took the new rifle to the Okaw Valley Muzzleloaders shoot Today. My first shot was high, I think because I was shooting with a clean barrel. From then on; I didn't clean between shots, and used a damp patch. I managed to win the 25 and 50 yard offhand club match, and the 25 yard squirrel match. Overall, I couldn't ask more from a new rifle. Charlie Burton knows what he's doing for sure, when he makes a barrel.

Back