• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Genealogy experts and accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenngun said:
I had seven generations before my birth and my Robinson ancestor landed here in 1747. For a 128, so I did round down to the 120.

If you are working back from a birth date, what you will get is birth dates. So in 1747 (just an estimate representing a 25 year generation, of course) you would have had 128 ancestors born that year. You would have also had most of the 256 parents of those who were born and many of the 512 grandparents as well, plus a scattering of the 75 year old great grandparents; maybe even a centenarian or two still alive from the gg-gps. So the number of people alive that year from whom you're descended would be several hundred.

I am not trying to nit pick, even though it looks like it. The point I am trying to make is probably the same point you also wanted to make, that the number of ancestors increases greatly the further back you look. You will get back to a million ancestors if you double the time it takes to get 1000 ancestors.

Well I did do quick and dirty since I just counte the straight seven and went from there. My father was a first born but I was number three. And born late. Dad was first when he was born. My grand father married late and was thirty fife when my father was born. I don’t know how old my transported six great grandfather was when he was sold in Connecticut in 1747 but he didn’t marry and start a family till the 1760s. He did fight in the revolution and was given land in Ohio though he would not move there that I know of his son did. My line trace through mostly younger sons till my father.
For sure four to five generaratins per century is possible, distaff side a little more, or as few as three.
I often think of my brother. He was born in 1946. The last WBTS veteran died in 1959. My brother didn’t know him. However there are people who knew him still alive today. He did not know Robert Lee, but he could have. And Robert knew his father ”˜Light Horse Harry’ Lee. So playing the six degrees of Kevin Bacon game only three steps for my brother and four for me take us back to the AWI ( I would have been two when that last veteran died) in terms of knowing an AWI.
Looking on it another way is let’s say you descend from a left sided relation ship of Henry the eighth and a scullery maid. The baby is half Henry, Grandbabby a poor little girl grew up to be Elizabeth’s laundress is a quarter Henry, then 1/8 and 1/16 Hebert disappeared pretty quick and should great grand daughter marry great grandson from a different union of Henry and maid the resulting child may end up with no Henry genes at all

Looking at you figures, 512 years ago there must have been a whole heck of a lot more people.

You said an ancestor was transported here in the , IIRC 19h century. Do you know what crime he was being punished for?
Two kids in our neighborhood had a grandfather who was hung as a horse thief. We thought that was really neat. (Cool in today's patlence>)

Dutch

We are discussing stuff wildly unrelated to ML or BP activities, so while you giys are out at the range or in the woods making noise as you terrorize target or the random squirrel I willthrpw in some equally unrelated material.
If your bride or significant alleged bride to be marks you by putting one of those Downey Softeners in the dryer with your laundry to notify any competitor sniffing about that you are taken, Be warned it was not your bad breath that frightens them away.
Ammonia, kitchen ammonia, any kind is excellent on bug bites. Ballistol is also reputed to be good in that endeavor as well but I have not checked that one out.
A few shakes of your powder horn or flask held spout down will tend to always feed the finer grains of black powder out the spout. Simmilar to shaking your popcorn box at the movies to bering the large kernels to the top.
There once was a member of a list I belonged to who felt his exemplary accuracy was caused by his strongly wishing his projectiles to gather at the bull\s rye. I respect his thoughts sincerely but not his particular wisdom, Otherwise Zen would replace the ammunition factories.
I have long believed that the disaster or problem that is prepared for seldom happens. The disasters that hit you will be a surprise, There fore prepare for the worst.
My father reported that we need a certain amount of sleep which varies from person to person. He felt that any time sleeping over that amount of time acted as a subtraction, So if, as in my case I need 6 hours of sleep but oversleep for a total of 8 hours, I wake feeling as though I had put in only 4 hours of sleep. This I have tested frequently and in my experience it appears to be true.
We don't have a lot of genealogy as we all tend to live too long long. Three generations back o my father's side it's 1830. On my mother's side it would be 4 generations to approach that same date.

Bang! (Something to relate to ML and BP,

Dutch

Is it unrelated? :idunno: I think our history belongs to every American. So a new citizen from Indonesia is welcome in my camp dressed as a longhunter or French colonial. However just as I go to a museum to look at old stuff used in the day I like to think about the journey my family went to get here. My families story is every families story.
I see a link to our ancestors who lived the life we relive as a part of an historic ml page

The PA Dutch, some say was an Anglicanization of the word for German word for German, Deutsch. (Pronounced Doich) However in the low German dialecct spoken by most Palatine immigrants, the word is Deitsch, pronounced with a long i. Now the Dutch refugees in German naturally picked up the low German dialect spoken by their neighbors. However, in the case of many, including the original settlers in Germantown Philadelphia, about half were actually refugees from Holland. Even in the early 1600's, the Dutch were burning mennonites at the stake. So Menoniites, escaped across the river into some of the western Germamic kingdoms. Germany was at that time a collection of about 60 small principalities. Some of my ancestors came from German speaking areas of Alsace Lorraine, some came from the Duchy of Zweibrucken. Also, Mennonites in Switzerland were being burned at the stake or other wise punished as heretics and they were given 2 weeks to leave by the Canton of Berne. On the 15th day, over 70 were burned at the stake in the center square of Berne. Many of these refugees were to one of several southern German principalities. Some of the most early arrived and most influential families in Colonial Philadelphia, were the Hendricks, Umstatts, Schumachers and two others families. All were Dutch Quaker families who emigrated to Germany from Holland and after 20-30 years in Germany to Philadelphia.

There is an interesting side note that led to their leaving Germany for Philadelphia. As Quakers they refused to pay taxes or serve as soldiers or even town sentries. In 1683, a huge Turkish/Moslem Army was at the Gates of Vienna with the avowed purpose of capturing Vienna and using it as a base to conquer Rome and then end Christianity. The turks were defeated and routed (On September 11, 1683), but those Quakers who lived a few hundred miles west of Austria who would not fight or even pay taxes intended to raise an army to save Christendom, were extremely unpopular with their fellow citizens. These folks were above average in education, wealth and often controlled the cloth weaving industry in their towns. (Linen weavers.) These Dutch Quakers who were refugees in what was to become Germany were actually the settlers who founded the Germantown section of Philadelphia. The fact that they spoke German, but were Dutch by lineage is what I believe caused the confusion that led to the group called Pennsylvania Dutch. Even many of the foods pf the PA Dutch can be traced back to the early Dutch and German settlers.

Kannst du Pennsylfannische Deitsch schwetze? Ich kann.

I agree! My ancestors were some of the first people to leave France and come to Canada where they worked as carpenters and fur trappers which are directly related to our passion. After a three year hitch, so to speak, they were released from their contact and became free trappers along the St. Lawrence River! They married Native Americans, raised families and world the land. Hunting, trapping and fishing has always been a part of my life and it’s great to know where I got this passion from.

My GGGrandfather, Abraham Hilbert of Berks County PA, fathered 21 children with the same wife. Lost one to the WBS. According to the History of Chanceford Township, an early Scotch Irish Teamster named Flaharty, had 32 children he admitted to. Apparently had more than one wife along his freight route.

Back