• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Garage sale find (Don't laugh)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54mountain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got back from a garage sale where I picked up a New Orleans Ace pistol kit still in shrink wrap dated 2/80. I know these were cheap kits and the finished gun ain't good for much but for $35.00 I couldn't pass it up. It should be a fun little project and It might even be fun to shoot. :grin:

----- :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: -----SORRY----- :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: -----

You got a good deal.
Yes they are cheap. But the 1860 Bacon single shot thay are a copy of was cheap too.
For 35.00 you done good!
David

I have two Aces one smooth bore and one that is rifled. I've had to file and sand the nipples some to make them more reliable cap poppers but they work reliably now. With 20 grains of pyrodex p they will send a patched .433 ball over a chrony at over 540 fps giving you 80 ft/lbs of energy. The rifled one is a bit more accurate than the smooth bore but these guns were designed for close quarters defense. Hitting a man size target at 5 yards is no problem but precise shot placement is not possible. With the rifled Ace I can put 3 out of 5 shots on a paper plate at about 5 yards with the other 2 being just off the plate.

Don

Mine is a smooth bore, the instructions say use a .424 rb but I checked the bore and it only measures .410, How does this work? :hmm:
I got it togather last night, pollished the brass an cold blued the barrel. I still need to do some finish sanding on the hand grip but it's lookin' good

If it only measures .410 than I would think a .395 ball with a patch should work fine. The instructions with mine said a .440 ball and patch but I had to practically use a sledge hammer to get it loaded. It works great with the .433 ball and .020 patch. .395 balls are available through Deer Creek and I think Midwayusa.com. Good luck.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Don.
Thanks for the input I'll see if any of the club members Have some smaller balls to try out before I buy a full box, I know a couple of them shoot .36 revolvers thet use .375 rb they should work with a thick patch :thumbsup:

Not laughing -- I bought mine 95% finished from the kit at an auction for half what you did...
Alden

I finally got to shoot it last weekend. Couldn't hit paper at 20ft but it's a hoot to shoot... :thumbsup:
.375 balls with a double patch work ok but are still a little loose, I will try to find some .390 balls and see how they work.

forgot.jpg

:wink:

You can get .433 balls, which fit perfect, from Midwayusa.com don't bother with the .390 balls.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ya done darn good fer $35 - looks like an interesting piece with some historical significance, that you can have some fun with.

:hatsoff:
Spot

ummm, just picked up a new orleans ace 44 cal...with cutlassKIT.. still in wrapper in box...gees now what? :haha:
44CUTLASSKIT001.jpg
[/img]

Back