• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front swivel thru the rib

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a Mike Lange half-stock rifle and wanted to put a sling on it without buggering it up. The ramrod pipes aren't strong enough to use a T/C type but a talented guy on another forum gave me this idea.

I decided to Loctite the rib to the barrel so have it clamped in place until tomorrow.

I used one of these from TOW:

Nice!...I've been meaning to try Track's swivels ....I've been making my own slings for years....Haven't bought a commercial sling since..... :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :grin:

I'd drill and tap some fillister screws as a back up to the loc-tite if I were you. That swivel will make a lot of cantilever pressure on the rib end.
Patocazador said:
I got a Mike Lange half-stock rifle and wanted to put a sling on it without buggering it up. The ramrod pipes aren't strong enough to use a T/C type but a talented guy on another forum gave me this idea.

I decided to Loctite the rib to the barrel so have it clamped in place until tomorrow.

I used one of these from TOW:

Like this
26257822920_b905515385.jpg

SC45-70

treestalker said:
Mr. Clyde, do you make your slings out of leather or woven or what? George.
I don't make fancy beautiful slings....mine are strictly utilitarian and cheap. Leather, Nylon or cotton webbing usually. Most are for guns we can't talk about I don't usually put a sling on my muzzleloaders..
Nylon webbing and copper saddle rivets makes a nice cheap sling but that wouldn't go well on a muzzleloader....But you can swap out the nylon for cotton webbing or leather....

I bet one made of braided horse tail hair would be authentic, period correct and strong as could be made.
Look pretty cool too had it some porcupine quill patterns weaved in.

Thanks Mr. Clyde, I would probably use a simple homemade leather sling. M.D., If I tried to braid one out of horsehair it would look like a porcupine needing a shave! :rotf: However I bet a horseshair sling would be as tough as a plate full of woodpecker necks! George.

I filed a shallow groove in the rib of my Hawken and made a sling loop from a metal hanger which has the 1/8 dia wire ends hi temp silver soldered. Of course the rib has to be screwed to the bbl.

As shown in the previous pics, the front metal sling loop has to rest on the RR pipe when the rifle is held vertically.

To accommodate the buttstock sling loop, a 1/8" thick steel toeplate is used and a modern, detachable sling swivel's round stud w/ the cross hole is riveted onto the toeplate.

A leather sling is used....tried one of those plastic ones but it kept sliding off my shoulder whereas the leather stays put......Fred

Any historical basis for sling swivels on civilian rifles? I thought that was a thing that came about post civil war. Just asking.

I really don't know in answer to your question. My Hawken and another MLer are still used by others for elk and both have the same sling arrangement which is quite necessary in lieu of somehow carrying a 10 lb gun all day.

I no longer hunt but did find the sling a welcome aid in carrying these heavy elk guns all day....the way we hunted elk was to constantly move around and use the cow call and this way of hunting did produce results.

Whether my slings were HC was never considered.....we were always meat hunters and anything that helped in that quest, was welcome.

The mountain men carried their heavy rifles on the saddle so didn't need a sling.

Perhaps more knowledgeable members can chime in and give you a factual answer to your question.....Fred

Latest posts

Back