• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i am looking for ideas for a taller front sight without modifying the barrel. rite now it shoots about a foot high at 15 yards.

it is French made sometime between the late 1820s- 1850s. at sometime in its life someone made the front brass nose cap and covered up the ramrod hole. when i got it the nipple was flopping around in its hole so i re-tapped it with a TOW oversized tap and use and oversize nipple. it is smooth bore marked with a shotgun gauge on the barrel. it fits my 575 patched round balls perfect. it functions well and i will be shooting it lightly.

thumbnail_IMG_2134.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2133.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2132.jpg

i am looking for ideas for a taller front sight without modifying the barrel. rite now it shoots about a foot high at 15 yards.

it is French made sometime between the late 1820s- 1850s. at sometime in its life someone made the front brass nose cap and covered up the ramrod hole. when i got it the nipple was flopping around in its hole so i re-tapped it with a TOW oversized tap and use and oversize nipple. it is smooth bore marked with a shotgun gauge on the barrel. it fits my 575 patched round balls perfect. it functions well and i will be shooting it lightly.

View attachment 318516View attachment 318517View attachment 318518
Here's my solution to a similar issue with an original that I didn't want to permanently modify. It's a simple copper pipe clamp with an aluminum blade jb-welded, and offset to clear the ramrod. Works great.

Attachments

• 20240508_230059.jpg
    20240508_230059.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240508_230241.jpg
    20240508_230241.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 318516View attachment 318517View attachment 318518
I really like your pistol! If it were mine it would be a dedicated critter gitter with #4 shot!

Latest posts

Back