• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found this circulating and surfing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently 7-20-23 broke my wrist out of commission for a while. I figure let`s snoop and pick brains. Well as it would have, well 50% Dawn dish soap and 50% water well a patch lube, do I need to add how clean at end of session? I have heard in small groups, few old timers but here it is at work....

CVA, hope it heals up well and your back to shooting in notime. I watched the video yesterday…his video ending line is good. Yep it will work and help keep bore clean as any liquid lube will do. I use spit patches and does the same. I wish they made flavored patches so they taste better!

Interesting.
A little dish soap and water is how I clean my muzzleloaders, but I never tried it as a patch lube.
It seems to work fine when doing some target shooting, but how well does it work after the water dries out? How well does it work if your dish soap lubed patches are kept in a tin, or ready in a loading block for days at a time, or as I often do I have a small roll of lubed pillow ticking that I cut off at the muzzle when I load. I doubt it is going to work so well when the water has dried out.
I supposed I'm just going to have to try it.

Oh, edited here to include a comment about spit patches. Again, okay for target shooting. I sometimes do it that way myself. But, hunting when the gun will remain loaded for a long time, especially in freezing weather - I don't think so.

CVA, hope it heals up well and your back to shooting in notime. I watched the video yesterday…his video ending line is good. Yep it will work and help keep bore clean as any liquid lube will do. I use spit patches and does the same. I wish they made flavored patches so they taste better!
heck yes to the flavored patches as well hhahhahahahahahahahah

Interesting.
A little dish soap and water is how I clean my muzzleloaders, but I never tried it as a patch lube.
It seems to work fine when doing some target shooting, but how well does it work after the water dries out? How well does it work if your dish soap lubed patches are kept in a tin, or ready in a loading block for days at a time, or as I often do I have a small roll of lubed pillow ticking that I cut off at the muzzle when I load. I doubt it is going to work so well when the water has dried out.
I supposed I'm just going to have to try it.

Oh, edited here to include a comment about spit patches. Again, okay for target shooting. I sometimes do it that way myself. But, hunting when the gun will remain loaded for a long time, especially in freezing weather - I don't think so.
thats more to chew on. I had not considered...mmmmmm thanks

50-50 Bacon grease and Beeswax…
Never liked the idea of the salt in the bacon grease being held in place with the wax, against the steel, on a rainy day. Doesn't mean it actually is a problem, but it just "sat in the back of my mind"... know what I mean? Unsalted lard, sure!

LD

Olive oil. It don’t freeze. No salt. precut my patches, then In to a small bag. Add olive oil till material is just soaked in. Not dripping. Then spit that oil patch when loading. Shot all day like that, small bore or large. Smoothbore as well. Keeps the lips from getting chapped also

Never liked the idea of the salt in the bacon grease being held in place with the wax, against the steel, on a rainy day. Doesn't mean it actually is a problem, but it just "sat in the back of my mind"... know what I mean? Unsalted lard, sure!

LD
But ya gotta admit that would be a great “flavored patch”!! 😋

Oh good grief! Spit for target, tallow for hunting. WHY do some make this harder than it really is!!
I wanted to hunt M.L. season so I bought a M.Z rifle. ? This was a long time ago in the ,""No Computer years"". I knew nothing about them at the time. I bought the last two Hawkin Rifles Ithaca Arms had in stock for the huge sum of $450.00 each which was a huge sum back then? I followed the directions that Sam Fadala used for firing these rifles and never looked back. ""If it ain't broke don't fix it""! I have worked on weapons since the sixties and have never seen a M.Z. bought to me that wouldn't shoot reasonably accurate with the recomended load for any given rifle. My personal M.Z. is still shooting the load Sam Fadala recomended years ago. My Hawkin rifle is extremely accurate , why would I change? I use any brand of dish soap and water to clean it and put it over to burners on my wifes stove to dry it. Oil it down well and put it away? In a week or so I check the bore and run a oily patch down it. Never had a problem. The soap and water lube has peaked my interest it would keep me from wiping the bore after each shot?

Back