• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For offhand shooting to you prefer single or double trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's responsible for the widespread use of DSTs? All the mass produced factory rifles that have DSTs because a good simple, single trigger costs more in the the long run....takes a skilled craftsman to setup a light single trigger pull and the factories won't suffer the cost because of a "profit first" motivation. So, once again we've been "duped" by a "quest for maximum profits".

Most CF rifles have production single trigger setups and most are somewhat satisfactory, but even w/ these, the threat of lawsuits is increasing trigger pulls under the guise of "safety". This also applies to producers of MLers.

One must, in this "modern age", tolerate all sorts of "schemes" that produce greater profits for manufacturers, but also, for the consumer, produce short lived products w/ high costs of operation. Slightly off topic asre triggers, but I think some of us "get the picture" and can relate it to choice of a trigger......Fred

I prefer a clean breaking simple trigger of about 1.5 lbs. I believe good off hand shooting requires the trigger load increase to be felt and this is tough to do with a very light trigger pull.
Most set triggers are set way to light for best control of offhand application.
They also retard lock time allowing more time for the bore to move off target.
The notion that trigger break should be a surprise is rubbish in my opinion.
If you practice dry firing enough your sub- conscience knows when it will break and your conscience will not be far behind figuring it out. Mike D.

gard72977 said:
RC said:
about everything I do is hunting related,,I don't own a 40 cause can't hunt deer with them..so my guns loads and practice/shoots is all for hunting,,so single trigger on all mine....but advantage I have ..they all Roy Stroh built an triggers are awesome.. :thumbsup:

Set triggers it will be!

Thanks for the info guys. I have two projects going at the same time. Roy Is building me a gun that is a close replica of a original TN gun so it has set triggers. That is the 40cal but it is over a year and a half out.

Im having a gun in a larger caliber built locally that is only six weeks out. Im trying to decide what I want by Sunday so I can leave a deposit and get the ball rolling. ( no pun intended)
you understand that I only have single triggers? not set..? Roy is excellent with triggers an locks no needfor a set trigger--imo! :thumbsup:

The gun Roy is building is based closely off a original Tenn style. It is not a option for the gun to look right it needs a set trigger. Roy builds the Best Tenn style guns I have seen.

I am trying to decided about a gun that is being built by a local gun.

I've disabled my set triggers, the front trigger had too much slack in it so I just got through filing and gluing a piece of front sight blade to the trigger bar too take up the slack. I now have a 2 to 3 pound pull with no take up at all. But when I did this it prevented me from using the set trigger, But I like it this way because the set trigger was WAAAY to light for me no matter what you did to the set screw. You could breathe on it and it would go off :shake: .

armakiller said:
I've disabled my set triggers, the front trigger had too much slack in it so I just got through filing and gluing a piece of front sight blade to the trigger bar too take up the slack. I now have a 2 to 3 pound pull with no take up at all. But when I did this it prevented me from using the set trigger, But I like it this way because the set trigger was WAAAY to light for me no matter what you did to the set screw. You could breathe on it and it would go off :shake: .
:( THE biggest Adirondack buck I've ever seen went his own way because of a way too light set trigger..an hour later in a tent, in the mighty Adirondack Mts.. the set trigger was no more..an never ever again..

roundball said:
Double trigger for everything...
I can't think of a way to soften this comment which states the obvious, but set triggers are adjustable. If they're too sensitive for a particular individual's use, they can simply be adjusted to fit the individual's needs...

roundball said:
roundball said:
I can't think of a way to soften this comment which states the obvious, but set triggers are adjustable. If they're too sensitive for a particular individual's use, they can simply be adjusted to fit the individual's needs...

Sir, I know set triggers can be adjusted, but these triggers could not be adjusted, maybe they are defective. Anyhow the point is moot because of my "fix". A 2 to 3 pound trigger pull is better than a 3 ounce or (less!) pull any day.

Just so we're clear, my comment was a general one, not aimed at you or any individual.

Yes, I agree there was apparently some sort of problem with your set triggers or their installation as they are definitely designed to be adjustable.

They must have been defective because even out of the stock when you set the triggers they would go off at the slightest touch :shake: no resistance at all when you "pulled" the triggers.

I'll agree that a properly set of set triggers can be advantageous (I had to look that up) especially, in a target shooting use.. I as I said use only single trigger because I am hunting minded anyway,,aiming at a target with a lite set trigger and aiming at a wandering buck for 20 minutes leaves it too easy to touch a set trigger..at an improper moment..lol.. much like choices of perc/flint or sights, caliber. etc all up to each shooter,,single trigger properly made is my choice.jus an opinion which is what OP asked...(an he'll love his Stroh! :thumbsup:

With my Bedford Co. 36, I could hit squirrel much better with my set triggers. Yes, set them properly is the key.

roundball said:
roundball said:

I was at the builders shop and he let me try a single trigger on a gun he had built and it was great. I decided to go with the single.

Bench? ... set.

Offhand? ... a nice 2-stage trigger ;) , of which a MZL'dr isn't. But I can go w/ a 'good' single trigger or a set, whatever the gun has.

Truth is, a set trigger is SLOWER in lock time than a single trigger, when you shoot offhand an are ON ... you want that trigger to break when you're on, not after you've already swung off the target.

Some shooter try real real hard ot hold as steady as they can offhand. A set trigger might be better for you.

IF you know and can very reliably predict how your trigger will break, you can do something different. You can very slowly move the gun, and then have the trigger break when the sights get lined up. you can not do this with a hair trigger.

I shoot a reliable and clean 4lb trigger much better than a 3oz one.

Also, set triggers usually end up with horrible hand / finger alignment.

In NY most of the muzzleloading shoots are in the winter months. It's nice to shoot with gloves on.

IF youre really into having a good trigger, clean and lube the lock and trigger from time to time. Good lubricant free of dirt on the sear can make a big difference in the trigger weight and feel.

A single set trigger that can be used either way would be my first choice, unless the prototype I'm recreating specifically called for something different, and that visual fidelity was important.

Back