• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Longshot, How do you like your blueridge flinter? Is it a good shooter and what kind of accuracy do you get?

Thanks for everyone's replies! Much appreciated!!

Longshot, I almost bought the blue ridge, but decided to go with the kentucky. It was a money thing (could not spend too much). The lock on the kentucky is considerably smaller so I do not know what size to use yet. I did order some different flints from TOW so I'll see what works.

My blue ridge is in 45cal .Ihad to a little bit of tuning on it. I open the vent a little,thined the vent, clen up the frizzen, I get about 2in groups at 50yds. I'm still trying different patch&ball combos. It look better all the time. The more i shot the better it gets.

Stumpy thanks for the information on the flintlock, I printed a copy so I can go back to it.......john......

nail.jpg

Harden with a propane torch and quick water quench.

Stumpy,(Can I call ya that? :winking:) how do I go about hardening my flint awl. Should I heat it red hot, or just heat it up pretty good? Is it really that important that my flint awl is hardened? ::

I was wondering what kind of flints should I use for my cabela's (pedersoli) kentucky rifle? English or American.

I suggest that you use real flints like this, you won't regret it... :winking:

Gunflint.jpg

Bluegrass,

It will serve you longer if it is hardened, but it is not necessary. I have one that is brass (non-sparking, a just-in-case safety thought) but it needs to be dressed back into shape with a file occasionally. The tribes around the Great Lakes used copper awls to flake arrowheads and knives. Anything that concentrates a lot of pressure in a small area.

If using an old file: Heat it red, allow it to cool slowly, then shape it, then heat it red again and quench it (If you quench it in oil be ready for a flame up).

If you are into pressure flaking like the natives mentioned above a softer material is preferable as it will hold on the edge of the flint or obsidian and not slip off, for percussion work harder material will serve well.

Leadball, If you log onto the Track of the Wolf website, you'll find 'em there. I have a .45 Blueridge and absolutely love it! Of the first 3 shots out of the box, two were touching and the third almost touched the others. This was from a bench at 50 yards with 60 grains of 3F. The only modification I had to make was to open up the ventliner just a tad. Enjoy!

Best price I've found for Tom Fuller knapped black english flints has been at "October Country".
John & Linda will sell bulk bags of 25/50/100, etc, and the more you buy, the lower the unit cost...depending on the size of the order, I've gotten 3/4" flints in the .69-.75 cents range...average 40-60 shots/flint

A word of caution on the 100 count "bulk bags". There is a 10% or greater cull factor for flints that are a bit irregular. I would HIGHLY recommend that if you go this route you get one or two of the abrasive wheels mentioned in the following thread in this forum (click on the link):

Rescuing "humpie" flints

It's still worth it for a bulk buy even with the culls, but the wheel will result in almost 100% useable flints.

Latest posts

Back