• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks and rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you might have a conniption, but I wonder if the guy's who shoot flintlocks don't shoot or hunt with there guns then the folk shooting caplocks, therefore just more familiar with them. Not saying this is the case, but it seems to me the people with flinters are just more enthusiastic about using them.

flehto said:
Although I'm partial to flintlocks, I have to disagree w/ you on actual experiences of the reliability of flintlocks VS caplocks in the rain. Have hunted w/ both in the rain and the caplocks require far fewer requirements for reliable ignition than w/ a flintlock.

More precautions have to be made w/ flintlocks in rainy weather than w/ caplocks and perhaps the flinters realize this and take all the precautions....and the caplock users might not, judging from your stated observation.

Disagree or not, what I have observed after many years, and many woods walks stands; cap shooters have more problems than flint shooters. As I stated, and you surmised, the cap shooters apparently do not take necessary precautions, particularly in bad weather. I do not disagree that flint guns require more attention to detail, however cap shooters need to pay attention also. Some people dis flinters because they are too unreliable in bad weather, they are not, they just require more attention.

Back