• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks and copperheads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have many poisonous snakes around, consider "snake-proofing" your dog. It is easy to do if you have access to an E-collar.

My Boykin thought it was great fun to dart in and out when a snake would try to strike her. She also liked to bite small alligators on the tail.

I put the E-collar on her and caught a black snake and put it in the corner of the solid walled porch. The dog jumped in trying to bite the snake and I zapped her with the highest setting. She didn't want to go near the snake after that so I picked her up and tossed her on top of the snake and zapped her again. She could not be forced to go within scenting distance of the snake after that.
I reinforce it yearly and she has never gotten bit in her 11 years.

I did the same with a small gator with its mouth taped shut. It worked just the same.

I am glad you dispatched that copperhead. The only good snake is a dead one in my book. That's a good looking bloodhound you have there. Do you use him to track people or animals or just as your best friend.

My Grandpaw said there goes a snake kill it. I said Grandpaw its just a garder snake. I don't care it's still a serpent kill it. I took enough time that it ran under the porch and was gone.

Just remember, without snakes you'll get over run by their prey. I guess you'd rather have mice, rats, roaches, etc. Me, I'd rather have snakes. They don't harm you so why kill them.

IowaShooter said:
Just remember, without snakes you'll get over run by their prey. I guess you'd rather have mice, rats, roaches, etc. Me, I'd rather have snakes. They don't harm you so why kill them.

I would kill every rattler or other poisonous snake I saw, dont believe in lettin em live ( no hate responses please just wanna strike first with somthing that can rot a hunk of my leg out). I do let others go. A few years ago I caught a 4 foot bull snake and let him go in the wood pile (no more mice) but after he cleaned it up he left? I need another bull snake.

I will be tryin some snake shot in a revolver soon, I dont hunt often where there are rattlers but ya never know.

I understand not wanting to mess with poisonous snakes. But they still have a place in the food chain. They are good eating too. And their skin makes good decorations on hats, coats, etc.

Kill it and use it.

Cotton mouths defend their nest,and can be aggressive. In general most snakes I've met in the wild were trying to hide or get away from me. Wontingly killing a snake just because it's poisonous is on a scale with shooting sparrows or blackbirds for target practice.

We only have rattlesnakes to worry about here. I'm used to seeing them and they usually give their self away. Not sure I'd like learning to deal with all the other poisonous ones that don't make noise. :shocked2: GW

At least 1/2 of the rattlers I have encountered have made no sound. BUT one that was about to hit my 2 yo brother was sounding off loudly before my Mom did him in with a garden hoe. Brother still has the rattles after 70 years.

Having grown up around a trout stream and lakes, I've seen plenty of snakes, but mostly those nasty water snakes. I have no fear of them, but don't care to have copperheads or rattlers close by. I've only killed a couple of copperheads, and both with a car in the driveway. The only rattler that I killed was by accident as I was banked over while rounding a turn on the motorcycle.

Too often I hear folks say that they'll kill any snake they see, mostly out of fear. What they don't know is that black snakes and hog nosed snakes(at minimum) are good to have around.

I'll take snakes over rats any day of the week. We have lots of pack rats in the area where I live and they are impossible to get completely eliminated. They are very destructive of any vehicle that has to be left outside unattended for more than a few days. Chewed wiring.

Grey Whiskers said:
We only have rattlesnakes to worry about here. I'm used to seeing them and they usually give their self away. Not sure I'd like learning to deal with all the other poisonous ones that don't make noise. :shocked2: GW

Pop grew up in KY and told me many time that a copperhead smelled like cucumbers? Any truth to it? he said when he smelled cucumbers he always saw a copperhead.

Maybe he was only really looking for snakes when he was in the cucumber patch?

No, I'm serious.

More often than not, a person can walk right by snakes and never notice they are there unless they are really looking for them.

As an example, a friend of mine has an absolute hate for rattlesnakes.

We were hunting quail one morning and came to a draw that was pointed in the direction of the sun.
He suggested that he would walk up one side of the draw while I walked up the other side, about 50 yards away from him.

By the time we reached the head of the draw, he had fired a total of 3 shots. Each shot killed a rattle snake.
I, on the other hand covered the same distance under the same circumstances without hearing or seeing one snake. Then, I wasn't looking for rattle snakes either.

Neither one of us saw a quail in that draw. :(

Kansas Jake said:
I'll take snakes over rats any day of the week. We have lots of pack rats in the area where I live and they are impossible to get completely eliminated. They are very destructive of any vehicle that has to be left outside unattended for more than a few days. Chewed wiring.
Got to say pack rat or woods rat aint bad in gravy

I've been around copperheads, cottonmouths and several species of rattle snake for the 62 years I lived in Ga. I've spent a lot of time actively seeking snakes out; not for killing but for study and the enjoyment of nature.

Copperheads, cottonmouths and the tiny pygmy rattlers are pugnacious and bear being very careful around. I've had quite a bit of experience with canebrake rattlers and the eastern diamondback, the largest venomous snake in North America. They are, in general, lethargic snakes that require a lot of harassment to get them to strike. Of course if you step on or next to one and surprise it, there's about a 50/50 chance it will either rattle or strike. And similar to crocodiles and alligators, The really huge ones are very sluggish and relatively docile.

Some favorite destinations of mine are the reptile farms where crocodilian and snake shows are performed. At one, inside a building, there was a huge stuffed salty that had died, of old age, I guess. There were pictures of him when alive with his trainer. In one photo the trainer was on one side of the salty with his arm on top of the croc's head. On the other side was another guy leaning against the salty's head. It was so huge and so use to people it was as docile as a dog.

The mounted salty's head was head high to me when I stood next to it. Impressive to say the least.

A friend of mine living in Washington state was bird hunting near his home and fired at birds flushing. His dog picked up the bird, but rattlers started sounding off at the shot all around him . He took the bird, picked up the dog in his arms and fled the area as fast as he could without seeing any snakes.

If you live out in the country, and it sounds like you do, just buy several Guinea hens and turn them loose on your property. They will rid your place of snakes. They are a bit noisy but they are snake killing machines. Mother Earth News has this to say with regard to Guinea fowl and snakes "Guinea hens are supposed to be excellent "snakers" as well as top-notch watch birds" When I started going to the University of Houston/ Clear Lake, they had a serious snake problem on the new campus. So, they bought a bunch of Guinea hens and turned them loose on the campus. Within just a few months, no snakes. I don't know if they kill the adults or just eat all of the young and the eggs but however they do it, they are pretty darned effective. They are also good to eat and their eggs are good, too. It's a win-win situation.

"...a copperhead smelled like cucumbers..."

Well, sort of. Almost all snakes have this similar scent. They only give off a strong scent when they are upset. I suppose one could say it smelled like cucumbers but to me it is pretty offensive. Water Moccassins give off a somewhat similar scent but it has a fishy smell mixed in. It almost makes me gag when I smell it. When my son was young, a neighbor killed a water moccasin in his back yard. My young son asked if he could have it and my neighbor gave it to him. When he got home, he had snake smell all over him. My wife made him strip off his clothes in the garage and then go straight to the shower. I skinned the snake and did a bit of gagging in the process. Then I tanned the hide for my son. He kept it in his room for several years until it started falling apart. Without a proper backing, snake hides are pretty fragile and will, with the use a kid will give them, start to fall apart after a few years.

Back