• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wattlebuster

69 Cal.
Reaction score
This pistol has a very long story behind it but I will just give ya the short version and the specs. I had been wanting a short flintlock pistol to carry in a holster just in case I ever needed a quick close up second shot. I did'nt care if it was HC/PC an dont have any idea what time period to try an call it. All I can tell ya is this sucker is FUN to shoot and is fairly accurate considering the short barrel and my shooting ability. Specs are as follows. 54 cal 6 inch green mt barrel that I coned so I can thumb start the balls, small siler flintlock, trigger and trigger guard came from the log cabin shop (I think) I thought due to the short length it did'nt need a ramrod pipe or rear entry pipe an I like it without them and I also did'nt install a nosecap. I did install a Chambers white lighting vent but only after messing up a inside cone job :idunno: and the stock blank came from Randy at TVM. As you can plainly see I made the side plate. 2 coates of LMF nut brown stain an 15 coates of tru oil rubbed back with 0000 steel wool. I wanted the metal to age on its own but I did help it just a little with some mustard. I've got the trigger pull just right an she fires off instantly with 30 grns of FFFG pushing a 527 dia. ball. Its my first pistol from a blank. I want to thank mr Karl Fisher of Ohio for help an inspiration on this an he and I know what Im talking about. Hope ya like :thumbsup:
031.jpg

032.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

033.jpg

039.jpg

:applause:

That's a nice hunk of wood on that snub nose WB!

What is this about using mustard to age metal? I have never heard of it before and would like to try it...

Glen just rub it on with your fingers an let it sit overnight then wash off with warm water. At least thats how this one was done :idunno:

i guess no one is going to tell you your front :slap: sight is on backwards.

Nice piece!

I'm glad to see it. I've got a 4" piece of a GM 50 cal barrel, a Chambers Queen Ann lock, and a nice Pecatonica pre-carve stock.

Gonna try something similar as soon as I clear my bench.

Hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Greg

Allen, Now that pistol is finer than frogs hair and you inspire me to do something with a GM .40 cal barrel I have in the shop collecting dust!

Bowkill, already stole my thunder about that front site, but what the hey,you mentioned you didn't care about your belt gun being PC!

Rick :thumbsup:

I know but when your blind as I am you will do all you can do to help yourself see the thing and I see it better like that :idunno: I have to do all my sights like that. I have even took a tiny file an filed out a groove an epoxyed a orange fiber optic piece in the sight before. Works good :thumbsup:

My man you are the one-----that's outstanding----I love that gun and I can offer a great warm safe to store it with lots of love---if you want???? No Charge wink, wink.I have been resisting another pistol purchase for a year now but nothing, nothing comes even close. Thanks for sharing--you have great taste in your design of firearms and the skills of a medieval monk in building it. It's perfect IMHO. I am really jealous of that gun and there won't be another like it. Everything just "fits"and is in beautiful proportion----the mass of the gun is perfect along with the proportions. Thanks again...."Doc" :hatsoff: Huzzah !!!!

My man you are the one-----that's outstanding----I love that gun and I can offer a great warm safe to store it with lots of love---if you want???? No Charge wink, wink.I have been resisting another pistol purchase for a year now but nothing, nothing comes even close. Thanks for sharing--you have great taste in your design of firearms and the skills of a medieval monk in building it. It's perfect IMHO. I am really jealous of that gun and there won't be another like it. Everything just "fits"and is in beautiful proportion----the mass of the gun is perfect along with the proportions. Thanks again...."Doc" :hatsoff: Huzzah !!!!

The front sight is a rifle sight and looks odd because of that but it's NOT on backwards. Check out some rifles, if they aren't installed like this one, they're on backwards.
Deadeye

Thanks All!!! An trust me guys. I NEED that big sight :thumbsup: Our turkey season is open but I will find some time to sight it in this weekend an post ya some results :hatsoff:

Back