• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Breeching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzloder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Never! Why sign on for all those problems? Flat breech, white lightning liner, = instant ignition, easy to clean.

To be honest, after my experience this past weekend, it is somewhat concerning. Unfortunately I'm too far along in the build to turn back.

I have been using Nock-style and Manton-style patent flint breeches for over 40 years. If the period style of the gun is appropriate (post 1785) guns I build will have a patent breech. Patent breeches are more efficient than standard flint breeches. Consider that with a standard flint breech the powder charge is ignited at a rear edge of the powder column and burns forward; essentially a "fuse". With a patent breech, because of the internal design and the physics of pressure, a pressurized jet of flame is shot up through the center of the powder column igniting more of the powder at at once (think solid-fuel rocket motor). Ignition is faster and velocity is increased for a given amount of powder. It was Nock's breech that made "shooting flying" as a sport possible. Most important in competitive shooting, breech pressures are more uniform shot to shot which translates to more uniform velocity which translates to more repeatable accuracy.
Patent breeches (Nock or Manton style) have NEVER caused me any problems. In fact they have cured one problem. On those occasions when you forget to put powder under the ball, there is always room to get enough powder in the patent breech chamber to blow the ball out. I have found also that fouling does not accumulate inside the breech--probably because of the pressure there is very little residue.

So, would I use a patent breech. You bet!!

On those occasions when you forget to put powder under the ball, there is always room to get enough powder in the patent breech chamber to blow the ball out

Yep, I took advantage of that feature this past weekend.

While I purposefully avoid "patent" breeches, I've owned several and must admit to having no problems with them.

I have both flat and patent ala TC, Lyman and Pedersoli. In some cases the patents require a little more attention to detail in loading and cleaning, but with the shooter a full partner in making the gun go bang, never any issues. Just like good wives they take some getting to know, but life is good in the end.

I prefer the traditional, non patent breech.

Having the main powder charge sitting less than 1/16" from the flash in the pan seems to work just fine. :)

A patent breech is an unnecessary complication in a flint rifle......Fred

Nock's Patent breech was made long before the Percussion ignition system was in use.

Nock, an English gunsmith who made very high class shotguns wanted to come up with something that would be better than the traditional, vent thru the barrel wall design.

He reasoned, if a small anti-chamber was added below the powder, it would fill with powder when the gun was loaded.
The vent was located so the flash from the pan would pass directly into this anti-chamber.

The powder in the chamber, once ignited would create a jet of flame into the main powder charge which would cause it to burn faster and more cleanly.

It worked, and Nock Patented the idea.
His Patent breech caused a better ignition of the main powder charge and that not only increased the velocity of the shot but it created less fouling.

Below is a drawing of Nock's Patent breech.
Notice the large hole that connects the anti-chamber with the powder chamber. This is important because it does allow the anti-chamber to fill easily with powder so the powder is resting right next to the vent hole.
NocksPatent by James King, on Flickr

Manton, one of Nock's chief competitors wanted to do something that would give similar results but he did not want to pay royalties so he came up with the chambered breech.

His chambered breech uses a smaller chamber in the breech plug, directly in line with the bore of the gun.

Its location created a need to connect this chamber with the vent so it uses a flame channel between the vent hole and the chamber.

This flame channels extra length can cause problems. If it becomes fouled with oil or fouling, it can prevent the loose powder from the main powder charge to get completely to the vent hole.

This Manton design is what many of the modern reproduction guns use and although many of us modern people (incorrectly) call it a Patent breech, Manton never patented it.

I build American style flintlocks. Simple and effective. You know..... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Historically speaking, there were a few American made longrifles that were made using the patent breech system.

One of the finest and much copied Bucks County rifles made by Andrew Verner is just such an example.

It's my opinion, and worth what you pay for it..
That the Patent Breech design used in T/C rifles works so well for them because it's paired with an easily removeable Hooked Breech.
I have four of those type of rifles. When cleaning, I pull the barrel, put the end in a container of (slightly) soapy water and flush thoroughly with a ramrod and tightly fitting patch..never had a problem. :thumbsup:

Good point Don, a pinned barrel would require a bit more care in cleaning.

I thank you all for your responses, seems we are pretty evenly split!

Zonie said:
Manton, one of Nock's chief competitors wanted to do something that would give similar results but he did not want to pay royalties so he came up with the chambered breech.

His chambered breech uses a smaller chamber in the breech plug, directly in line with the bore of the gun.

Its location created a need to connect this chamber with the vent so it uses a flame channel between the vent hole and the chamber.

I did some searching for a diagram of a Manton chambered breech and found this:

36473436531_1ab83072a8_o.jpg

Back