• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint to cap converted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTdeerhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a new addition to the family. Won't tell you how much $$ to avoid the hate mail :blah:
My better half asked to stop at an antique store and I found it behind piles of junk.
I see where the pan was crudely ground off from its days as a flintlock, but there is not another mark on it I can find. 30+ years blacksmithing I'm pretty good at finding marks in steel, even have a microscope that helps....but I see nothing?
What I do know;
Overall length = 58.5"
Barrel = 44"
Weight = 7.25#
Bore = .715-.735
2 piece stock well fit together
The butt plate is brass .100" thick with (5) screws holding it in place
The lock plate has a touch mark (TO) marked twice at right angles to each other
Any ideas?

Interesting old gun assembled from even older gun parts. 50 years ago one would see ones just like this in "antique" stores all over Vermont, New Hampshire and northern Maine back country. The barrel, trigger guard and lock started out as military issue, most likely European. Sometime later someone used the parts to build the gun you have. Your pictures aren't clear or close enough to show significant detail but the apparent craftsmanship rules out a professional gunsmith/builder. It will look great over someone's fireplace!

Nice find. Looks like it had a long and productive life...most recently as a New England style fowler. It has the general appearance of a militia musket from the early 1800's. The trigger guard might be from an early Springfield...model 1812 or before. What does the side plate look like?

Back