• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint life can vary so widely that it's difficult to give an answer. What I can say is that I've had flints that that lasted from a low of 5 shots to over 100. Say if a flint gives you 30 shots and starts to balk; anything from scraping the edge with a knife blade to knapping the edge can get you up to , oh, let's say 50 shots. With a good flint you can continue to knap, flip it over or even turn it around and use the back edge. I've had flints that "self knapped" and flints that fired until there wasn't enough left for the jaws to hold it. As they wear, you can mount them farther out and just put a twig or something similar behind it. I like to knapp with a tiny hammer made from a screwdriver blade and a piece of copper and I do it while it's still in the jaws. Just make sure you hold the hammer/cock back with your finger so as not to damage the lock mechanism. Mounting with leather works for me as does wiping the flint edge to clear away fouling. So I'll just close with this; 50 to 75 shots from a flint is quite reasonable.

I have found that lead does not hold the flint as well as leather. I find the leather holds up longer and is more reliable than soft lead.
It requires attention to the lock whichever material you use. I try to check the flint every five shots or so.
It is nice to get sparks when I want them.

Back