• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint knapping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our farm has 2 creeks running through the property. Along one a sandstone pit was created in the 1940s. Looking through the debris piles we've found many chert looking chips, as from ancient peoples making weapons.
Along the creek are huge, small car -sized boulders of grey stone pushed out by heavy equipment BITD.
I've been told these could be flint material, but I have no experience with this.
I guess a hammer and some on the job experience might be in order.

chert(USA flint) forms in limestone and should /may have a white chalky cortex/covering. This is Texas Georgetown
DSC03222.JPG
chip off some
1 try to scratch glass (hardness 5 , flint 7 Dimond 10) not your Xs windshield
2 strike with a file flat to see if it sparks
3 try to cleave it into a gun flint size
4 with safety glasses on see if it shatters in the gun lock several test times(to brittle)

Went to the range today and found some bigger rocks to play with
View attachment 316272
Perhaps it's just because I don't know what I am doing, but this stuff seems a lot harder to work than what they where using in the videos. Here's a few I managed to rough out, not as pretty or consistent as you guys are making.
View attachment 316273
You may need to heat treat them before they will knapp well. Some chert is really ornery until heat treated.

I saw one video where the guy used an electric turkey roaster to heat threat chert, it will go up to 450 degrees+ if I remember correctly. I looked for a used one on the Market Place and found one for $20 but never bought it.

You may need to heat treat them before they will knapp well. Some chert is really ornery until heat treated.
No, don't try heating them if you want them for gunflints.
Proper heat treatment does improve knapping quality, but weakens the stone. For gunflints, you want it hard.

Attachments

• 2022 Muzzleblasts - Gunflints for Reenactors.pdf
    687.5 KB · Views: 0
No, don't try heating them if you want them for gunflints.
Proper heat treatment does improve knapping quality, but weakens the stone. For gunflints, you want it hard.
I was told the same tripe before testing it in my own guns. You should try some before making such statements. If there is any difference between treated or natural chert in longevity or quality of spark production I have been unable to distinguish it.
Natural chert that knapps well has most likely been heat treated somewhere along the line in it's life any way.

chert(USA flint) forms in limestone and should /may have a white chalky cortex/covering. This is Texas GeorgetownView attachment 317435chip off some
1 try to scratch glass (hardness 5 , flint 7 Dimond 10) not your Xs windshield
2 strike with a file flat to see if it sparks
3 try to cleave it into a gun flint size
4 with safety glasses on see if it shatters in the gun lock several test times(to brittle)
The car sized boulders pushed out of the limestone quarry have a grey color similar to the Georgetown you posted. The quarry was created in the 1930s/1940s. Next time I'm there I'll take a hammer and glasses and break off a few pieces. I have easily an tractor trailer load of it.

The car sized boulders pushed out of the limestone quarry have a grey color similar to the Georgetown you posted. The quarry was created in the 1930s/1940s. Next time I'm there I'll take a hammer and glasses and break off a few pieces. I have easily an tractor trailer load of it.
Well that ought ah keep you swinging a bopper or hammer stone for a few years!:D

If I charge what TOTW charges for flint I'll be sitting pretty.
I have been knapping for a long time. sat down a year or so ago and timed how long it took me to knap GOOD usable flints.
close as i could count on my fingers and toes, i could make about $ 6.00 per hour after all the debitage, band aids, postage.
I can crank out a flint that is ugly as whoopie Goldburg but works in about 45-60 seconds. longer if i have to apply a bandaid.

View attachment 318289I use cut rest. gloves but there will still be blood /
safety glasses are a MUST flint in eye is more than a bad dayView attachment 318290⛑️ ⛑️
I'm certain that is a fact. I'll keep the glasses handy.
I learned my lesson casting boolits one time, i dropped some sprues in the pot and a piece of molten lead hit my lower eye lid...I thought I was a one eye parrot. Thankfully, prayers were answered when I opened my eyes.

Back