• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first pistol build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to get a pistol for my collection and because of our pistols are considered a restricted weapon where i live,my options are limited.I thought of putting together a kit form lymans plains pistol because of cost and the fact that this is only a target pistol as it cannot legally be used for hunting.My question is i never have done any rifle building how hard of a kit is it to put together?I do have some skills with woodworking and have blued barrels before but is the $75.00 difference between a kit and a finished pistol worth the effort?Is it a good first time build for a beginner? thanks

The Lyman pistol kit is assembled in the box. You basically disassemble it, sand, polish metal and reassemble it. I had one years ago and it was extremely easy and the lock was already case hardened. It's like refinishing a unfinished chair or table.

Take your time and do a good job, I am bet you'll glad you got one.

You will learn some during the process, and be ready for a build (from a parts set) after that.

the kit guns are about a 15-20 hour process. Parts sets start at about 60 hours, and go up from there.

Yup.
Building a pistol from a block of wood, a lock, trigger guard, barrel and trigger is almost as much work as building a rifle.

One can easily get 60 hours work into building a flintlock pistol from a box of parts.

The factory "kits" are just like their rifles. Production guns that are removed from the assembly line before the final finish is made.

Back