• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First musket, built from kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottRoush

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I just came back from the sand pit after shooting my 20 ga. NW Trade gun I built from Track of the Wolf. I grew up going to rendezvous with my Dad who was in the Simon Kenton Gun club in Dayton, Ohio and am finally getting the itch to get back into it.. although I will do more hunting than rendezvous since I live kinda out of the way in Northern Wisconsin.

I'm posting a picture of the gun and my first off-hand groups with a smoothbore. You can see my grouping came up when I realized that I never sanded the casting tab off of the sight!!!! The gun isn't done yet.. I mostly need to finish the butt cap and everything from the lock back is mostly rough finished. I forged the butt cap from old wagon wheel wrought iron and am still trying to finesse it flush. All other fittings were allowed to naturally patinate in my shop. Right now the stock is stained with Fiebings dark brown leather dye and then back sanded... with some shellac. This winter I plan to disassemble and re-finish the stock.. not sure how yet. But I needed to get the gun ready as grouse season is just about here.

I will post more pics when I feel it's truly done.

Anyway... Just wanted to introduce myself and tell everybody how stoked I am to hunting with a smoothbore this season.

musket.jpg

Looks nice like your idea of forging your butt plate from the old wagon wheel iron

Looks great. How long did it take to build? MORE PICS PLEASE...we like pics :haha:

Nice gun- there's something good to be said about the simplicity of a smoothbore musket/fowler/trade gun done in a simple style. I like the color you got on the stock-- I'm partial to darker stains with a little bit of brown-red to black contrast. I'm not a fan of light colored stocks, but yours is a real looker. I think it will be an enjoyable gun.

If it was up to me, I would leave it the way it is. I absolutely love the colors and overall aged, rough, working look of her. Gorgeus!

Nice looking gun! After looking at your website I can understand your willingness to handforge furniture for gun.

Back