• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Kit Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkjohnson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have finished my first kit gun. It is a Traditions Kentucky Rifle. I am overall pleased with the way it turned out. I hit a few snags along the way, but I suppose that's the way it goes. It's been a really fun learning experience that I will definitely do again. I do have one more thing to do before I shoot it and that is put on the sights. When I attempted to do this I realized very quickly that the dove tail cut out was too big for the sights. They just slid from one side and out the other. What is the best way to fix this without damaging the finished barrel? No, I did not try them before I finished the barrel I assumed if anything the sights would be too tight and I would have to file them down a bit. :doh:
10z0meb.jpg

I would take a brass punch and try to lightly tap down the top edges of the dove tails on top of the barrel to tighten up the fit. Another option would be to place a thin shim under the sights in the bottom of the dove tail.

Nice photo and good job. Bet you are itching to try it.
Not knowing how sloppy is sloppy, (way too sloppy you might want a new sight or sight base) Add solder to the base underside and then peen the barrel. Once the solder is added of course you need to trim it so it is nice and flat. I take a very small center punch and put three indents on the upside of the dovetail peening it down on the sight. I would add the solder first to make them just snug but moveable. With the sights in place shoot and field bump them to get your proper sight adjustment, then peen for permanent.
Flintlocklar :wink:

Eric Krewson said:
Easier way, put the sight upside down in a vise and peen the bottom at the edges, they will grow longer.

I like this idea. I think I'll try it first.

Larry (Omaha) said:
Nice photo and good job. Bet you are itching to try it.
Not knowing how sloppy is sloppy, (way too sloppy you might want a new sight or sight base) Add solder to the base underside and then peen the barrel. Once the solder is added of course you need to trim it so it is nice and flat. I take a very small center punch and put three indents on the upside of the dovetail peening it down on the sight. I would add the solder first to make them just snug but moveable. With the sights in place shoot and field bump them to get your proper sight adjustment, then peen for permanent.
Flintlocklar :wink:
Thanks. I am itching to shoot it. If I can get these sights to work I'll shoot it Saturday. There is no friction whatsoever. They slide right in and out. I haven't looked closely to see if there is any daylight in the fit or not.

Eric does have a easier way. I make my own sights so that helps me from the git go.
You owe us some shooting results, don't forget! :hatsoff:
Flintlocklar

Some also take a prick punch and dimple the bottom of the dovetail. This divots actually displace the metal, raising the surface around the divots somewhat, plus they also hold Loktite. As I’ve seen a few sights fall off in cccccccccold weather, that were otherwise fine when warmer out. Not that the OP uses their firelocks in cold weather.

an even easier way is to lay about a 9/16ths socket across the dovetail & give it a light tap with a small hammer. tap & try, tap & try. amazin' how little it actually takes to tighten up a sight.

jkjohnson said:
Eric Krewson said:
Easier way, put the sight upside down in a vise and peen the bottom at the edges, they will grow longer.

I like this idea. I think I'll try it first.

This worked perfectly. The sights are on and I'm ready to shoot Saturday as long as weather permits. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am sure everyone of them would have worked.

wganz said:
Nice looking build. :grin:

Am looking at the same kit for my first build.
Curious on what you darkened the brass with?

Thanks,

That's not brass. That's browned steel.

Anything with sulfur in it. Old BP residue from dirty patches, egg yolks, or my favorite, Birchwood Casey "Brass Black". Cold bluing solutions also work just fine.

Back