• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP deer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
400050251.jpg

15 minutes before sunset I took my first deer this season and my first black powder deer. This is my second season with black powder. I loaded my renegade on November 18th, I think it was, the day before rifle season. I loaded her up with as much love as I could muster. I kept her outside in my unheated garage so as to limit condensation. I could hear deer working the very thick cover behind me and to the side, but could not see them. I listened to them for about 15 minutes before one finally showed up, about to clear the brush and hit the trail that comes by my stand. I lost her for a few minutes and wondered if she saw or smelled something she didn't like. She came into view again, and worked cautiously closer, stopping and smelling every few steps. She finally stopped broadside at about 10 yards and looked at me. I've been hunting just shy of two months all together, so I didn't let this opportunity pass. I put a .50 cal ball through the lungs and heard her pile up about 50 yards away in the thick brush she came out of. The gun went off just like I loaded it this morning. I've hunted this property for 12 years and she is also the first deer Ive taken on it. Swirling winds, very thick cover, tough hunting. Your lucky to even see a deer most days. Guys, thank you for helping me out with this journey. I am by no means finished, but you folks are the ones that helped me enjoy success so quickly. I've taken a bp turkey this year, still have another week to hunt deer, and then on to rabbits, yes with bp. Is there any other way. Thanks guys.

Great story and some good shooting!! :hatsoff: . she looks like she has some weight on her and should give ya some good sausage and stew meat and a couple of roasts., Eat well. Double lung + 50 yards = meat in the freezer!. :thumbsup:

Nice hunt. I was 4years older when I got my first deer ever and with a 54 TC Hawken. Know the feeling. Dilly

Good show. I've used a Renegade myself a few years back. They make for a nice gun. Too bad they don't make them any more. One of my sons uses it now and we are waiting on his first deer. Hope this is just the beginning for you.

Congrats! :hatsoff:
Sounds like you are hooked deep, There is no hope now, Enjoy the ride!!!!

Way to go, Silly Goose!! I took my first blackpowder buck with a .54 Renegade. To answer your question, no, there isn't any other way - once you've acquired the blackpowder addiction :wink:

Awesome!!!!!...Great hunt and way to stick with it!
Glad you brought the camera.
Enjoy the back straps.....Dan

Folks, being outdoors is something I just have to do. I am a very lucky man in that I have good work that keeps me busy most of the year. This time of year is usually slow, and I like it because this is the time of year I need to recoup, and the woods and waters is the only place for me to do it properly. I have hunted for about 25 years, self taught, and trust me, I have paid my dues. I don't care about antlers, I don't need meat, though I very much enjoy it, if I didn't, I wouldn't hunt. For me its all about the method. I believe I have found the method that suits me best. I really enjoy the slow deliberate way of black powder. I've only ever used single shots, except for my revolvers, so that aspect doesn't bother me a bit. I willingly follow the law, and the additional challenge it may add. I would much rather take a doe on my terms, than the largest buck, if I had to compromise myself. I appreciate all the support you've provided. I see a smoothbore fullstock flinter in my future. .62 cal should do it. I've got a t/c renegade stock with a gm.62 smoothbore and an l&r flint conversion on it to use for bunnies this year. Good gun, but I think it'll go to help fund a lighter weight fullstock. Something about those fullstocks... I think you folks will understand. Again, thanks for being there. Onward and upward.

Latest posts

Back