• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire starter for wet material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being PC or HC. I carry two road flares in my pack.

They are good for signaling and will light a fire in any climate or weather.

And they will start a fire fast.

Better safe than sorry in a life and death situation.

bamaboy said:
Cliff I'm a country boy from Alabama. The best thing I've found to get a fire going is to cut pieces off a fat lighter stump. Its saturated with turpentine and it burns hot. Its easy to find in most areas in the south where there were long straw pine forests. I also break dead limbs off of trees to put on the fire I've started using the fat lighter. Limbs that are lying on the ground are usually to damp to start a fire with. I also keep a couple of disposible lighters with me they work great in damp weather. A country boy can survive!

Bamaboy, i don't know if you're aware of it, but some enterprising person figured out that if you take fatwood and cut it and split it into knidling, you can sell it to folks we here in Vermont call 'flatlanders.'

some nice packaging and ... zing! a huge profit!

( "Flatlanders:" no, that's not a compliment or a term of endearment- it's an insult, but then again, most flatlanders are from the "City" - meaning NYC, and are too dumb or too nieve to be insulted)

Chief Moonthunder said:
Always have a long haired wool jacket on or with ya.If ya have to, start pullin hairs of the sleeves or whatever,if if you have a striker,or any form of ignition start with that wool.My brother in law was in a plane crash in Alaska,the plane cuaght fire and he pulled the pilot out getting third degree burns on his hand and legs.The pilot died in his arms as he prayed over him,then he took off trying to get to a camp sight he saw from the plane to get help,he made five miles and had to stop and it was the next day
he had a couple of matches and pulled the hair off his coat
but it was in snow and like you everything was green,he knew choppers were in the area and at least got a good smokey goin and the choppers saw that..Also if you can find pine pitch that's good..

Wool does not burn, we have 25 sheep on the property and after shearing them, you can put a lighter to the sheared wool and it does not burn , thats one of the great things about wool... I'm just saying :)

a foot of bycicle inner tube and a bic lighter in it... wrap the tube around the lighter to keep it dry. Cut of a piece of tube and light it with you bic ... burns fiercely! Old SAS trick...

I always thought that the best way to start wet wood was with a road flare.

Just the good ole boy in me comming out.

Foster From Flint

Latest posts

Back