• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam in WI

Flash in the pan
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is my Colonial in .54 stocked in cherry. I was convinced I needed a brass patchbox, so I went ahead and took my best swing at it. I was regretting that decision about 4 hours into the process, but now that it's finished, I like it and I'm glad I did it.

I initially wanted to do the dark lye staining and rust browning, but after seeing what light colored cherry looks like I changed direction. I did use some lye, but the mixture was very light. What I actually used was 3 .45-70 cases of lye in a 1lb hodgdon powder jug filed with water. Then I used 2 heavy coats of Watco natural Danish oil. Once that dried, I applied half a dozen coats of Arrow wood finish.

I had already tried browning the metal, but I didn't like the glossy red "candied" look; so I stripped it off with blue and rust remover. The resulting gray looked nice to me so I left it at that.
20240407_114443~2.jpg
20240407_114443~3.jpg
20240407_114551.jpg
20240407_114533.jpg
20240407_114457.jpg
20240406_204841.jpg

This is my Colonial in .54 stocked in cherry. I was convinced I needed a brass patchbox, so I went ahead and took my best swing at it. I was regretting that decision about 4 hours into the process, but now that it's finished, I like it and I'm glad I did it.

I initially wanted to do the dark lye staining and rust browning, but after seeing what light colored cherry looks like I changed direction. I did use some lye, but the mixture was very light. What I actually used was 3 .45-70 cases of lye in a 1lb hodgdon powder jug filed with water. Then I used 2 heavy coats of Watco natural Danish oil. Once that dried, I applied half a dozen coats of Arrow wood finish.

I had already tried browning the metal, but I didn't like the glossy red "candied" look; so I stripped it off with blue and rust remover. The resulting gray looked nice to me so I left it at that. View attachment 310818View attachment 310821View attachment 310823View attachment 310826View attachment 310827View attachment 310828
Like that patchbox!

I had already tried browning the metal, but I didn't like the glossy red "candied" look; so I stripped it off with blue and rust remover. The resulting gray looked nice to me so I left it at that. View attachment 310818View attachment 310821View attachment 310823View attachment 310826View attachment 310827View attachment 310828
Excellent job!

Thanks for the nice words, folks...

By going easy on the metal and wood finish time and the elements will work their magic and the rifle will grow ever more handsome.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I wanted to see what the wood would look like darkening on its own (mostly). I was going to let the metal just do whatever without outright neglecting it. I might have cheated a little though and wiped some dirty patches on the brass parts. In my defense though, they were starting to get splotches just from me handing the rifle while shooting.

My first shot was a complete miss. I was in a hurry on account of rain coming in, so I just grabbed a box and set it out 30 yards away. I yanked it while standing and felt like a dummy. I knelt for the next 3 and felt like it did fairly well. I'll put it on a bench and sight in proper when time and weather allow.

20240407_112740.jpg

Yes I do like the cherry. If I can ask, how long does it take to polish up all the brass parts, and did you work on them them separately from the stock?

I felt like polishing the brass was the toughest part of the whole process. I tried coarse sandpaper, which didn't do very well and tended to leave some difficult to remove scratches. I tried a regular bastard cut file, which was a little better. The only parts I left in place while sanding the wood was the butt plate. The rest I left off and cleaned them up individually.

One member suggested a Swiss cut file, which I would probably try if I were to do it again.

My butt plate didn't get totally smooth and shiny, but the minor little pits will fit in well with the "used but not abused" look once the rest of the metal catches up.

Thanks for the nice words, folks...

That's kinda what I was thinking. I wanted to see what the wood would look like darkening on its own (mostly). I was going to let the metal just do whatever without outright neglecting it. I might have cheated a little though and wiped some dirty patches on the brass parts. In my defense though, they were starting to get splotches just from me handing the rifle while shooting.

My first shot was a complete miss. I was in a hurry on account of rain coming in, so I just grabbed a box and set it out 30 yards away. I yanked it while standing and felt like a dummy. I knelt for the next 3 and felt like it did fairly well. I'll put it on a bench and sight in proper when time and weather allow.

View attachment 310914

I felt like polishing the brass was the toughest part of the whole process. I tried coarse sandpaper, which didn't do very well and tended to leave some difficult to remove scratches. I tried a regular bastard cut file, which was a little better. The only parts I left in place while sanding the wood was the butt plate. The rest I left off and cleaned them up individually.

One member suggested a Swiss cut file, which I would probably try if I were to do it again.

My butt plate didn't get totally smooth and shiny, but the minor little pits will fit in well with the "used but not abused" look once the rest of the metal catches up.
Ok thanks, l just started the process myself and thinking 'well this is fun ' - I do have an assortment of files and stuff so we shall see-

Very nice rifle! You guys keep posting them and one day I will join the Kibler Club!! Always wanted a SMR but these big bore Colonials look Great! Thanks again for posting your fine work!! Reds

Back