• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finish question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
on an original rifle, maple or anything else, what would have been the finish on top? we know they used ferric nitrite but would a varnish of some type have been used over that or would it have been oil? today just about everybody uses what they call "an oil finish" like chambers hardware store tung oil etc. that are very good but in reality, they seem to just be a varnish. what would have been used in the 1700s,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A drying oil (linseed, tung, etc) or a varnish made by adding resins to drying oils.

According to research, samples of original finish often contained iron oxide, manganese oxide, and lead carbonate, all drying catalysts. People were smart, or were good apprentices of smart gunmakers

I also understand that shellac was used occasionally as a first sealing coat on some woods, my speculation being probably only those that didn't require stain.

I've used both Raw and Boiled Linseed - Boiled definitely dries faster - on a new build I'll put few coats of Tru-Oil on first to seal the wood and carry on with Linseed (perhaps with a bit of pure turpentine) until I've got the finish I want.

Hi,
The short answer is an oil varnish or some sort of polymerized oil mixed with drying solvents. Linseed and tung oil are the most common oil bases and then either a drier or copal resin was added to dry and cure it. They used linseed oil as the main ingredient not because it was particularly good but it was OK , available, and cheap.

dave

Yeeeaaahh...use Boiled! Hey, what did the 18th C. cabinet/furniture makers use up in Boston, Philadelphia, etc.? Like the stuff you see the furniture guys talk about on The Antiques Road Show?

It was boiled with driers…… that makes it varnish.
No it does not. That makes a seed oil into a drying oil.

What makes it a varnish is the addition of varnish resins to the drying oil to make the finish harder, more glossy, and give it the ability to build thickness. Copal, pine, and in modern time phenolic resins are used to make oil varnish.

Back