• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finest turkey opener in years.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mike. Good luck hunting!

smo, thanks again. :hatsoff:

wvbuckbuster, we are allowed one tom in the Spring, so, his buddy should be carefree for another year. May he breed many hens and enjoy sunny skies! :haha:

Best regards, Skychief

Congrats and great pictures! I should hope to be 1/2 as lucky tomorrow here in PA! ;)

Your turkey is more better than mine and you got him to do just what you wanted. My turkey wouldn't come to a call so I had to stalk him in order to get close enough for a shot.
:v:

Percy said:
Congratulations, that's a mighty fine bird. I assume you used the "Skychief Special load"? Thanks for sharing.

Percy
Congratulations again and great pictures there Chief. That is a heck of a bird , what a trophy. :thumbsup:
BTW, what is this "Skychief Special load" that I have seen referenced here lately? :confused:
I must have missed it... :hmm:

Go getem Matt! If you're 1/2 as lucky, you're in for a treat.

Percy, but of course :haha: I wouldn't use any other loading for gobblers! I tried to get a count of pellets that landed on his noggin and neck, but gave up. He was certainly sprinkled quite liberally with those sixes :shocked2: Of course, he wasn't too far away either. :thumbsup:

Hanshi, may I recommend the use of a slow cooker for your bird? Congratulations :haha:

Paul, thanks! In short, the "Skychief Special Load" is:
Powder
Nitro or hard card
Shotload
Thin card
Lastly, a SLOPPY, SATURATED full cushion wad on top of the whole shebang. I and others have found olive oil to work well. I've also used lard/beeswax. The idea is to make that cushion as heavy as possible.

Provides the densest patterns out of my cylinder bored guns, as well as others.

If you search my topics, you'll find a thread or three about it, complete with others testimonials. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

wvbuckbuster said:
Skychief we can take 2 gobblers in the spring was hoping you could also. Dan.
It's probably just as well he can't. I'm not sure he could stand another one. :haha: :haha:

Spence

I get a kick out of reading these stories. I set my decoys out in the field edge behind me just for fun and had 2 toms come out of nowhere and kicked the decoys @$$ and put it on the ground. :shocked2: I haven't had turkeys here since the yotes moved in. My season starts tomorrow, guess I'll give it a go. We get two in the spring, two in the fall. After reading what happened after your shot I was thinking time for a side by side to take out the second bird.
So, I don't think you ever told us. What was that gun you used?

I am covetous :redface: Well done. Too many folk give up if they dont get immediate action. I have learned when I KNOW the turkeys are in the area to stay put for hours and call lightly every 20 min. Have had a few come sneaking in, missed one as I must have been reading my Zane Grey and soon as I noted action he was outta there. I usually use a pop up blind so my hands are hidden!

I have no tag this spring and will have to hope for a fall tag! I may get archery (over the counter) if no shotgun tag is had :hmm:

Good job :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back