• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiberglass ramrod for Pedersoli Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have broken two wooden ramrods in my Pedersoli Jaeger loading the non-lead projectiles now required in my area of California. So I purchased the fiberglass replacement ramrod which was slightly too wide. After some trimming with a Dremel tool, it now fits, but the fiberglass splinters are punishing my hands. Any thoughts on how to smooth this fiberglass ramrod? It's certainly not wood. Thanks.

You've discovered one of the chief objections to using a fiberglass ramrod.

You could look for a Delrin ramrod.
Their a little squishy but they don't embed glass fibers in the users hands.

I'm curious.
How did you break the wooden ramrods?

Did they have any noticable grain runout?

The most common reason for breaking a wooden ramrod is the user grasps the rod too far above the muzzle and then tries to ram the ball down the bore.

If the patched ball is really hard to push down the bore, it is best to ram it in steps, about 6 inches at a time.

:doh: Make a steel or brass one ,apply brass coloured paint to lead round balls and they are no longer lead are they ! how could you now possibly know what they were any more . :thumbsup:

Check out October Country muzzle loading supplies; they'll make you a real nice range rod in brass for not a whole lot of money. I have 2 of them. cheers

Ditch the fiberglass rod or use it for a tomato stake and buy one of these: http://www.octobercountry.com/search.php?search_query=range+rods&x=9&y=13

Personally, I prefer the brass rods with a muzzle protector. A muzzle protector is essential for any rod to protect the muzzle from wear that will ruin accuracy. I have a couple of the Delrin rods and I think they are too limber. :shake: Using one of them is just too much like pushing a wet noodle up a wild cat's.....uh.....well, you get the idea. :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would caution anyone that lives in a lead free area to try this :shake: . The game wardens are not dummies and are wise to the "tricks" of the law breakers. One scrape of a knife and you have lost your hunting privileges forever not to mention your gun :shocked2: . Do as you will - you are the one breaking the law. It comes down to "are you a sportsman or a criminal" :nono: :(

Wet sand it with 600 or finer grit wet/dry paper.

As someone else said use it for a bean pole and never put a piece of fiberglass in a rifle barrel you care about.

Another drawback of a delrin rod is how smooth they are. If you have bore butter on the rod or any kind of bullet lube like that they become very slick and hard to use.

I don't like either fiberglass or delrin ramrods. I only use steel range-type rods with a large wooden handle. I consider my wooden rods as mainly decorative, and I remove them when firing to avoid caking the tip with powder residue.

Carrying a steel range rod when still hunting might be a bit awkward or when bird hunting - but I do neither.

I like the post about the hickory rods that have a steel core.

I have to agree that we want to use non-lead where they require non-lead. It's not worth the legal catastrophe and I want to set a good example for my children. Or I could come hunt deer in the east. Recommendations? :) Thanks for the advice. The metal ramrod idea seems superb.

rj morrison said:
http://www.periodramrod.com/
pricey but well worth it.
Ditto ... awesome ramrods! In one 2-hour session at a a Winter shoot, I saw 8 ramrods broken, 7 using bore butter ... it was 17-degrees out.

I let anyone who needed use my 'Period Ramrod' and every load loaded w/ ease ... and safe to the hands too!

Flint62Smoothie said:
rj morrison said:
http://www.periodramrod.com/
pricey but well worth it.
Ditto ... awesome ramrods! In one 2-hour session at a a Winter shoot, I saw 8 ramrods broken, 7 using bore butter ... it was 17-degrees out.

***SNIP***

Just a word of warning about Bore Butter. It freezes in freezing weather. I remember the first time I experienced that. I was living in Vermont and I found out there was a quarry about 6 miles away that was often used for target shooting. I gathered up my stuff including my Bore Butter and headed on out. It was clear and calm but cold at 11°.

I left my fixings at the firing line I'd drawn in the snow and went about setting up my targets. I fooled around with them entirely too long cursing my forgetfulness - left my staple gun at home. I finally got the targets to stand up or lean where I wanted them and started to load my rifle. I pulled out the Bore Butter to use on my patch and nothing would come out. I squeezed harder with no luck and then I then realized it had frozen solid. So I did spit patches for that target session and as long as I loaded it immediately after taking the patch material out of my mouth it worked fine.

Good news was that there were some small nails against the wood I had my targets resting on and I was able to wiggle them loose and use them to hold my targets in place. I was able to pound the small nails in using my frozen tube of Bore Butter. That would have been about 15 years ago now and I still have that same tube sitting in with some of my shooting gear. I use Stumpy's Moose Snot for my patch lube now and it doesn't freeze.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

another thumbs up for period ramrods got a tapered one for my 50 cal. and now have one for my .54 and .58 well worth it.

Please do not use a fiberglass ramrod. They trap and hold abrasive particles and will ruin the rifling in your bore. Years ago the Bevel Brothers in Muzzleblasts magazine conducted experiments with a variety of ramrods using scrap lengths of barrels to see which would produce the most wear. The fiberglass ramrod was by far the most destructive to the rifling.

What about the stainless range rods TOW sells? I'm guessing brass may still be better for the bore since its softer.....

Back