• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Feedback on CVA Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a guy offer me a good deal on a muzzleloader since he knows that I shoot them. Problem is, I've pretty much shot the same one over the past 15+ years, so my knowledge about other brands/models is minimal.

The guy has what he's calling a "Spanish" Kentucky Long Rifle. Looks to be of the CVA variety and in pretty good condition. It's a .45 caliber full stock with what looks to be a thin, brass joint in the stock (2 pieces). He's only wanting $50 for it.

Anybody have any experience with these guns? Just curious to know some history/specs/feedback on them. Never had a problem with older CVA, but no experience with this model. It's nothing fancy, but is it worth $50?

CVAKentucky.jpg

ANY gun that goes bang is worth $50.00...A Red Rider BB Gun is $59.99 off the shelf :wink:
Seriously if its not total rusted junk and the $50.00 is available Id take it!!

I just bought one for 20 dollars. Mine was put together poorly so I am making a pistol out of it. It is worth 50 in my eyes so go pick it up.

So are they decent shooters? I think it's got about a 32" barrel, but no idea on the rate of twist. Anybody know this? Never had any experience w/ a .45 caliber either, but hunting is pretty close range around here, so it may not matter. If anything, might be fun to get the wife into shooting with me.

If the bore is good and everything in working order...jump on it! If you check the auction site, you'll see most of the starting bids for these CVAs are twice the price. They may be low cost, but they are straight shooters. Many of people have got their first black powder deer with them. Get it and have fun shooting :thumbsup:

Anonym said:
So are they decent shooters? I think it's got about a 32" barrel, but no idea on the rate of twist. Anybody know this? Never had any experience w/ a .45 caliber either, but hunting is pretty close range around here, so it may not matter. If anything, might be fun to get the wife into shooting with me.

My Opinion....45 is a tad light for deer (Yah I know you can kill a moose with a .22 "if you hit it right") its just my opinion..
These ARE pretty straight shooting guns...MY mostest accurate ML is a CVA Mountain Rifle - I can hit nicles with it as far as I can see them.

Short and simple. They are or were good shooters. The rifling should be 1-66 which is good for RB. The price is a steal if rifle is in any shape at all. It should be light enough for the wife. It should also be big enough for deer at under 75 yards 50 is better distance for .45. Yes they shoot good. See I went from short and simple to a little long but hope I covered your questions. Fox :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'll be working something out to get it from him. Might need to unload my CVA Hawken .50 cal for a decent price if anybody's interested...

Here's mine, built from a kit in 1978:
550.jpg

R0010558.jpg

33" barrel, 1:48 ROT, shoots .440 prb with .015 lubed patch over 70 gr fffg real black powder. Accurate and well balanced. Well worth much more than $50.

Anonym
Its well worth $50. My first rifle was a CVA Kentucky 45. and I still have it. Its a real good shooter. I use a 440 ball with 60grs Goex FFF. Mine has a 1/60 twist I'm thinking. It is not a fast twist that I know. Does a nice job. Some had adjustable triggers as mine does. It has to adjusted from the inside but it does help because triggers on these are not the best. You will kick yourself if you don't buy it.
Hacksaw

Anonym, buy the rifle. You won't regret it. As you mentioned, it might be a good one to get your wife interested. The stock proportions and weight seem to make it almost ideal for a lady's rifle.

Years ago I built one from a kit to use as a trainer for my sons. Cut the barrel down to 24" and the forend to match which made it a dandy child-sized rifle. Half a dozen kids and a couple of adults "cut their teeth" in black powder with it. Only had to stoke it with 30 grains of 3f to get the job done on targets. You wouldn't believe how much I turned down for it at a rendezvous when a guy I loaned it to fell in love with it.

I had one that I sold 5-6 years ago for $100 and the buyer was happy to get it for that, so I'd say $50 is a great price if its in serviceable condition.

To clear up the confusion on the barrel twist you might be getting from the previous posts, the CVA 45 caliber Kentucky rifle barrels were 7/8" across the flats, had 1:66 roundball twists and were 32" long (all taken right from the CVA catalogs sitting on my desk).

I will join the chorus and say buy it if it is decent shape.

I built one for my wife twenty odd years ago. She's a small woman so I cut 6" off the barrel and took and inch off the pull. She loved it and shot it to good effect for a couple of years until it died in a motorhome fire.

Even if the bore looks like a sewer, it is still worth it in parts alone!

I am very fond of the CVA Kentucky, and own two!

They shoot straight!

Post pics when you get it, and let us know how she performs!

The twist will depend on when it was made. The earlist were 1 in 48, later they were 1 in 66. The earlist ones had very shalow rifling grooves and a constriction about 1/2 way down the barrel ( I believe it was from clamping while machining. ) the constrictions don't effect accuracy but do effect cleaning and loading. The later models had "jugar" barrels which were deeper groved and had no constriction. Most of the locks had soft tumblers/sears and poor threads but could be rehardened. And better lock bolts put in. I know of several local shoots that were won by people shooting the earlier CVA,s against people using custom built rifles.They are not as good of quality as T.C.s but don't cost near as much. They are safe to shoot and can give you a lot of enjoyment for the money.

Well, if all goes well, I'll be picking it up tonight. Just waiting for the guy to let me know he's going to be around. Pics will definitely be posted once she's home!

Thanks for all the information and the feedback. I'm quite excited to see what kind of condition it's in.

I bought a 50cal CVA Kentucky kit in 1992 and have won many a match with it, the bore is a little rough now, many 100's of shots. I worked with a gunsmith and we case hardened the internal lock parts and gave it a trigger job, I took out the brass piece from the middle of the stock and replaced it with wood and glued the stock together because no matter what I did the stock jumped apart at that point!

Been with me along time, many trips to the woods.

Enjoy!!

Well, I picked it up last night. Turns out to be a JUKAR, not a CVA labeled Jukar. It's in fantastic shape and doesn't appear to be shot much. It had a misfire still in the breech that the guy didn't know what to do with, so I dropped a few grains of powder in the drum and cleared it with the first cap.

Bore appears to be shiny with deep rifling. I did the tight-patch test and measured either a 1:60 or 1:66 twist. Wood doesn't appear to be much of anything, but it's in great shape and may merit a sanding/refinishing to see what it brings out.

Everything was complete, and he gave me a 100 pack of Hornady .440 balls, patches, caps, a ball puller and a patch puller. I felt bad, and he didn't have change, so I gave him $60 for the set-up. :thumbsup:

I ended up taking the trigger and lock off of it last night because the trigger was horrid! I got the lock cleaned up (had sawdust in/around all the parts) and adjusted the small take up screw. Then I took the trigger "ramp" and cleaned it up with a file and a honing stone and put it back together. It's MUCH BETTER!

I'm hoping to get to shoot it soon to see how it does. The only markings on the rifle are "JUKAR Spain - .45 Cal. Black Powder Only" and the Serial Number 1789XX. Here are a few pics from my cell phone. I think it's well worth the money paid. :rotf:

1123092127.jpg

1123092129.jpg

1123092130.jpg

1123092130a.jpg

1123092130b.jpg

1123092131.jpg

Oh, and no comments on my ENCORE in the background! :nono:

Back