• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite movies set before 1840

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XXX said:
Last of the Mohicans : "Their French Haven't the nature for war Thier latent volupousness combines with thier Gaulic laziness, and the result is they would rather eat and make love to their faces then fight." Gen. Web

Rob Roy : "You speak Arichibald! One must never underestimate the healing power of hatred." Montrose

Treasure Island (Charlton Heston, 1989): "Isreal's right lad, dead men tell no tales. When I'm a rich gentleman riding in my coach, I don't want any o' them sea lawyers aft coming along unlooked for like the Devil at prayers." Long John Silver.

"You mark my words Captain Smollet, before this hours through I'll stove in this here blockhouse like a rum puncheon! Them that dies will be the lucky ones." Long John Silver

" That were some scheme of yours last night I won't deny it. One of you is mighty handy with a knife. Poor lad was still warm when I found him, and if I had awoke a second sooner I would have caught you in the act." Long John Silver

The Mountain Men: Remember the first time we saw the Tetons? ..country so new a man felt like he was the first to set foot on it. You could walk for a year in any direction with just your rifle, live good and easy, never say sir to no one. Bill Tyler

I have several:

Ones I like that have already been listed here:
-The Patriot
-Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
-Monty Python movies The Holy Grail and Life of Brian

And here are some that are not (and a few I am surprised haven't found their way to this list):
-The Horatio Hornblower Series
-The Sharpe's Series
-The Pirates of the Caribbean Movies
-The Alamo (the more recently made one)
-The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood (both Errol Flynn movies)
-The Blackadder Series (British Television series comedy, from which 3 out of 4 series are set before 1840)
-Almost Heroes (A Chris Farley Movie)
-Damn the Defiant

there are probably more I can think of, but that will have to wait for later

I'll skip the semi-serious like Monty Python, although Ringo Starr's "Caveman" must certainly be in the running for earliest.

Probably the one that started all this fur trade era hoorah off, cousins, "The Big Sky". I also liked "Across The Wide Missouri" with Clark Gable. Never will forget the scene where he has to reload on the double and skewers the bad guy with on his ramrod. Saw the Heston/Keith movie recently and they only gave it one star. That was, to me, better than "Jerimiah Johnson" which I also saw again and it didn't seem to hold up.

"Pirates Of The Carribean"???? Well, then, let's have "Adventures Of Robin Hood" and "Captain Blood". As one author commented on Erol Flynn, there was a real man who was not afraid to wear tights!

I know a real good one (and a great book, too) and that's Spencer Tracey's "Northwest Passage" about Rodgers Rangers. "Say, what's that you got in the bag?"

"Hudson Bay" with Paul Muni and Vincent Price,About Pierre Raddison and Hudson Bay,Their French accents and broken english is a riot :rotf: Hard to find and rarely shown on Turner Movie Classics but I was able to get on video a couple years ago by seaching for rare movies and Hudson Bay...Good luck..Mark

There was a movie that I saw a looong time ago that had James Arness (Marshal Dillon) in a supporting part as family man who yearned for adventure. The star carried a whip in addition to a flintlock. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Post Rider said:
There was a movie that I saw a looong time ago that had James Arness (Marshal Dillon) in a supporting part as family man who yearned for adventure. The star carried a whip in addition to a flintlock. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

"Many Rivers to Cross" with Robert Taylor & Eleanor Parker ! I have it on dvd! One of my alltime faves! :hatsoff:

"Ohh Bushrod!"

Davy

BRUN said:
How about A man called horse and Return of a man called horse.Havent seen them since I was a kid and cant find them on dvd.They were pre 1860 right?Like I said havent seen since I was a kid but wasnt he using a ML shotgun when he got captured?
Looks like its set in 1825.Im a little less embaressed now :shake:

"Moll Flanders"
"Barry Lyndon"
"Centennial" That was really a good movie up until Pasquenel got kilt. :(

The Last of the Mohicans
Braveheart
Gladiator
Alamo (both versions, grew up with the first and I think they did a great job on the second despite poor reviews)
Master and Commander
Sharp's Rifles (BBC with Sean Bean)
Rob Roy

two great qotes both from the 300 spartens.

after they were told we will fill the sky with arrows. "then we will fight in the shade"

surrender your arms. " come and take them"

Don't forget Waterloo with Christopher Plummer and Rod Steiger. I know its not pre-1840 but the flintlocks in the turkey shoot in Sargent York looked old enough.

Or "The Duel" I thnk it is called with Carradin & Ketiel :hatsoff:

Davy

Trigger said:
I bet you aren't expecting this one: The Duelists. Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine.

I rented that movie years ago, would love to own it on dvd do you know a soarce, great movie!!!!
:hatsoff:

Post rider

"Many Rivers to Cross" was already dubbed onto dvd from vhs ... when I bought a couple of years ago on Ebay!
:hatsoff:

Davy

What is the one with Kirk Douglas where they get him all liquored up to amputate a finger? Is it Across the Great Divide or Across the Wide Missuori?,....Mark

Back