• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fake wedge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought my first two wedge half stock 45 at estate auction. Removed barrel and rear wedge is fake, barrel has one under lug. Is this common. Don’t know age of gun but guessing by the lock someone put together within last 20-30 years. Maslin style with Spain stamp. Barrel has no markings of any kind. Barrel is 42” long, 1” wide. Gun is 57 1/4 “ overall , 11.8 lbs. After getting gun home and inspected I am very happy with purchase , bore is spotless no pitting anywhere on gun and can’t wait to shoot. Just confused about wedge.

Attachments

• C0F4548B-766B-4BEE-92B4-96F0BBFB0C16.jpeg
    C0F4548B-766B-4BEE-92B4-96F0BBFB0C16.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 90
  • EB144223-E1BA-42D5-88D6-FE450A532022.jpeg
    EB144223-E1BA-42D5-88D6-FE450A532022.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 4292CAC7-3BB7-4ED0-BD1A-3EA6297C8DB7.jpeg
    4292CAC7-3BB7-4ED0-BD1A-3EA6297C8DB7.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 8E564ACC-87D4-49FF-85F0-1BCD1D2CE6E9.jpeg
    8E564ACC-87D4-49FF-85F0-1BCD1D2CE6E9.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 94
Reminds me of when I used to work as an aircraft mechanic and I'd run across panel screws that were just "glued" in because the nutplates were stripped out and less ethical mechanics wanted to fix it the right way haha

Does it look like the builder struggled to get the first underlug into a dovetail? If so, he may have lost his nerve to try a second one.:dunno:
No, first one is fine and wedge is good and snug. Barrel only has one dove tail. Must not be an issue as long as gun is handled properly, because it looks like it has spent a lot of time at range. Maybe if I end up using a lot and it becomes an issue I will have second dove tail cut in barrel.? Thanks

Looks kinda like a CVA mountain rifle which had two working wedges, BUT, if I'm not mistaken the Mountain Rifle 45 cal. barrels were 32 or 33 inches in length and 15/16th inch width across the barrel. Could be this is a replacement barrel of some sort if 42" long with no markings. Very interesting. You said it is 1 inch barrel? I am not sure, but in kit form the barrels back then would probably already had the wedge tenon installed or at least the dove tails cut.
Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable about that gun in kit form could shed some light. I remember someone saying also that Deer Creek bought out a lot of the old CVA side lock inventory and were actually building and selling there built version of the old CVA Mountain Rifle for a time.
If indeed it was an old CVA Mountain rifle, I'm betting someone replaced the old barrel with a new longer one.

I put together a frankengun a few years ago and done the same thing (kinda). I had a CVA barrel lying around and found a stock/lock on eBay. The barrel had two tenons and only one slot in the stock to I just used one wedge. I put a pin in the stock threw the second tenon. It was a really short barrel and I’ve used it for the kids to shoot. It can’t be taken down anymore because of the pin so I just clean it without removing the barrel from the stock. You’re might have been slapped together too. If it works don’t stress it.

Last edited:
Looks kinda like a CVA mountain rifle which had two working wedges, BUT, if I'm not mistaken the Mountain Rifle 45 cal. barrels were 32 or 33 inches in length and 15/16th inch width across the barrel. Could be this is a replacement barrel of some sort if 42" long with no markings. Very interesting. You said it is 1 inch barrel? I am not sure, but in kit form the barrels back then would probably already had the wedge tenon installed or at least the dove tails cut.
Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable about that gun in kit form could shed some light. I remember someone saying also that Deer Creek bought out a lot of the old CVA side lock inventory and were actually building and selling there built version of the old CVA Mountain Rifle for a time.
If indeed it was an old CVA Mountain rifle, I'm betting someone replaced the old barrel with a new longer one.
Thanks , I think you nailed it. Never had a mountain rifle ( always a T/C fan in my younger days ) but after reading your reply I totally agree that it’s a mountain rifle stock. Assuming that they made some without patch boxes. In the process of making new ramrod for it now so hopefully I’ll see what she’s made of this weekend. Next time I go to Deercreek I’ll take it with me.

Back