• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eye Candy for the Flint-aholic ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahjo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got this finished. Thought some of you might enjoy some pic's. It is a 37".62 smoothbore rifle. Started to build a Edward Marshall but as I got into it the Jaeger lines and it's carvings wouldn't "grab" me. So the Haines' with it's sleeker lines and his carvings won out in the end.
A Marshall-Haines cross breed! :shake: Enjoy

P1010023.jpg

B10.jpg

B7.jpg

B3.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010029.jpg

B22.jpg

Is that a Remington 22? Just kidding, the rifle is perfect. I like everything about it. Now what stain and finish did you use. #2 what finish on the barrel and lock, just gteat color. Some sideplate engraving would be nice but you can do that at anytime. Now put it in a box and send it on down- The Great Pinyone

Thanks Gentlemen, you humble me :bow:
It took a couple years to get it finished, many pressing issues kept putting it on hold. I DO plan on shooting it before long!
I believe Birddog6 was the one who put me onto the brass darkening (aging)solution that ALSO ages steel. I don't have the source/brand at hand but could come up with it anyone wants it. I have used it on two rifles and obtained two kinds of results.
The Wm. Antes

OCT31-20073-1.jpg

was LMF-browned in a humidity box for 2-3 days, then soaked in Brownell's 'Steel White', then scrubbed with fine stainless steel brush/steel wool, then the aging solution was applied.
It took on a light pitted more-aged deeper color. This one was polished to 400 grit then 'aged'. A median effect would be to use320 grit. Degreasing is important.
Permalyn stains (Lancaster over Cherry). I have a habit of applying Waterlox on the bare wood before staining [wasted effort?...don't know] Dry overnight. Two coats of Permalyn sealer/ 0000 steel wool take-down/ coat of Lancaster stain with some Cherry mixed in. Let it dry overnight. Permalyn sealer, dry overnight. Light steel-wooling and coat of Permalyn (regular) finish, dry overnight. Light steel wooling and four more coats of Permalyn sealer applied two coats per day. Hand rub the devil out of every Permalyn application. Permalyn was put on with piece of old T-shirt cotton material by dobbing and rubbing in well (some call it a "rub -off" application). Very little Permalyn sealer is used. Follow LMF's instructions, I believe the Permalyn Sealer on maple is the way to go. Less chance for screw-up! If careful it is almost foolproof; at least it works for me.
Engraving is NOT my forte'. The Wm. Antes is also waiting to be engraved.[there was a post on the Antes 10-19-07 but photos are now gone; can repost them if anyone wants to see it again] One of these days I will get confident enough to tackle that little engraving chore!

Apologies for the ramble; :yakyak: just trying to answer the inquiries....

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! However, I agree with what one of the others said, a gun this beautiful really needs some engraving on the side plate. Sort of like the cherry on top. I'm green with envy. I wish I had the talent to do such beautiful carving.

Congrats!!

Bill

You can... all it takes is patience, the modified X-acto blade and handle Peter Alexander describes in his book, and a scalpel with disposable Blades (#15).
An assortment of chisels to plunge cut the outline are not necessary. The Alexander-modified Xacto blade will cut tight curves and radii by stabbing straight down with it's sturdy point. Easier that you think!

Back