• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Explain the differences in lead shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slamfire said:
Copper is softer than lead? :shocked2: My tumb nail has been lyin' to me for goin' on 50 years. :shake:

Dag nab it! Mine too! :grin:

Turning instead to Moh's hardness scale (chosen for simplicity over Brinell's scales):

Lead: 1.5
Tin: 1.5
Bismuth: 2.25
Zinc: 2.5
Antimony: 3.0
Copper: 3.0
Nickel: 4.0

(the higher the number the harder the material)

paulvallandigham said:
If you look at the Periodic Table of the Elements( Oh, God! Does he mean that there is actually a use for that darn thing we had in high school science classes?) Nickel(Atomic number 28) is softer than Copper(29), which is softer than zinc(30), then tin(50), Antimony51), Lead(82),and finally Bismuth(83). It should come as no surprise that nickel plating is softer than copper plating on shot. It is when elements are joined in an alloy that they tend to make a much stronger product than the sum of the parts would indicate. Antimony, although softer than lead, makes lead harder, and that is why it is used for that purpose.

I think your may be confusing hardness with density, the higher the number, the more mass (denseness) the element has, the higher number does not necessary imply the element is harder...

period.gif

Example: (Rn) Radon #86, it is a Noble gas and has a higher number than (Pb) lead #82, which is a solid...

Maybe not a blast but you'd be able to write a glowing testimonial about Radon. It's radioactive. :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back