• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Entry pipe on a Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was it typical to see an entry ramrod pipe on Hawken style guns?
Thanks,
Idaho PRB

I have the Hershal House video, "Building the Hawken Rifle". Early in the video, House and a Hawken collector display and comment on the details of four or five original Hawkens. They all have the typical entry pipe and pretty much resemble the better Hawken replicas of today. Can't tell you about other "Hawken style" entry pipes, but they were definately on the real Mccoys.
BTW, one thing I did learn from the comments on the originals, appearently the nosecaps were never poured, only formed iron nosecaps were used on originals. If an original Hawken has a poured nosecap, it would be because the original nosecap was replaced. Bill

Believe Bill has got it right...Orginals were made from sheet material formed to the entry thimble shape and the stock/ramrod hole configuration, same with the nose caps...You'll see some investment case stuff out the now, but it always seems to have a heavy appearance once installed...Also they are tough to modify to fit what You want to have...The sheet ones are the best, wat to go, and most orginal in my opinion... :winking: ...The Lizard...

Just for giggles I ask, was there Hawken's made with no nose cap and a direct entry into the stock like on a Renagade? Not a trick question but I have wondered this for a while because it seems to work just fine and I have a few rifles made this way.

Don't believe I have seen or have heard of any reference to the "Hawken" pattern rifle in haft or full stock without and entry thimble and fore end cap...With the demand for less expensive rifles and to be able to make a living, I am sure the Hawken shop made less expensive "plains" rifles with some probably without entry/caps...

With any business, "never say never"...Believe they did quite a bit of other work besides rifle making, most probably in blacksmithing and general mechanical repair... :winking: ...The Lizard...

Pittsburghunter said:
Just for giggles I ask, was there Hawken's made with no nose cap and a direct entry into the stock like on a Renagade? Not a trick question but I have wondered this for a while because it seems to work just fine and I have a few rifles made this way.
Yes some of the Hawken rifles made by J. P. Gemmer (and possibly by Sam - all were built late in the Hawken time line) for the local trade had such a set-up.
All of the extant half-stock Hawken mountain rifles on the other hand had a formed iron nosecap and entry thimble. As noted above on the few extant Hawken mountain rifles that have poured "pewter" nosecaps the nosecap is replacement....

Back