• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAHMAN

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some reference on engraving techniques so that I can enhance my abilities some....

Any good ones out there besides Meek's book? I'm hoping to find some that illustrate how to correct (besides practice, practice, practice...) flaws.

Maybe we can get a tutorial going....

I'm a beginner so take this all with a grain of salt. I started out with a hammer and square gravers and practiced for a long time. I also got Lynton Mckenzie's 2 DVD's (beginning and intermediate engraving) and they helped me a lot.

I also went to a get together of professional engravers and all of them were using air powered engraving tools. I owned one that I got used but I hadn't felt confident using it all that much. After some tips from the pros and some more practicing, now I feel pretty comfortable with it. The air tools do allow you to make bigger screw ups much more quickly though so beware of that.

I suspect it is different for everybody but I found the drawing to be the hardest part. Sharpening comes in second, and the actual engraving is the easiest part of the process. I've been working with hand tools my whole life so I find it pretty easy to figure out how to get the tool to do what I want. Drawing a design that doesn't look like a two year old drew it is really hard for me. I just doodle doing scrolls and leaves all the time now to practice.

I also bought Steve Lindsay's sharpening jig and it really makes sharpening much quicker and easier.

American Pioneer Video carries this one:

ENGRAVING A KENTUCKY RIFLE (circa 1775):

"Wallace Gusler discusses gravers, proper sharpening, design layout and execution. Attention given to borders, engraving a gunlock, patchbox, and signing the barrel. One-hour presentation."

R.E. Davis has a video called Beginning Engraving by Jack Brooks.

"In this presentation, the nationally known traditional longrifle builder, Jack Brooks, teaches the viewer the essentials of chasing, pushing, and wriggle engraving. Beginning with the basic tools. Jack shows the sharpening and heat treating of both square and chisel point engraving tools, and demonstrates the techniques used by period American gunsmiths to decorate their firearms. In addition, the engraving on several original 18th and 19th century longrifles is examined in detail. Over 70 minutes long. Available in VHS or DVD format."

Both are great resources.

Back