• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

english or amber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a blue ridge in .54 great shooter. but it's time to get some new flints. whats the ups and downs on both english or amber. I used the knapped english flints just wondering if amber or anyother type would be better. oh the gun use's a 7/8 flint if that helps.

I find the amber flints to be more expensive, and more brittle, than the english flints.

IMO, the Best flints out there, and the cheapest! too, are Rich Pierce flints. i consistently get 80 to 100 shots per flint. He's a member here.
good luck :v

another thumbs up for Rich's flints.Finally need to order 2 more dozen after getting my first dozen a year 1/2 back.My new Leman with the late Ketland lock loves them and they are very easy to re knap when needed ,seem soft and tough not as brittle as black english but strangely they don't seem soft when striking the frizzen and last 40/50 shots before a gentle pressure knap and back to shooting again..Ray

Shawnee Mike said:
Mines a English Fowling gun. I think if I put a french flint in it, The Barrel would collapse.
Either that or it would just throw itself on the ground and give up.

i live in Canada.
you have no idea how funny that was!!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just one more recommendation for Rich's flints. I am knapping impared and find his flints help me to overcome by disability. :hmm:

My limited experience with "amber-colored" flints is that they are more brittle than English flints, and are not worth the added cost.

I am by nature and genes, a " frugal guy" however. :grin: :bow: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I, too, like Rich's flints. However, I bought a couple dozen amber flints a few years ago at less than $1.00 each and find them to be very serviceable. I think it may depend on your lock as to how "brittle
" they are. Both my buddy and I find them to be of excellent quality and last a long time between knapping.

i agree with the other smart, handsome and well informed gentlemen who have also responded.

tried the French amber flints in a Deluxe Large Siler, and they're OK, but they cost a good bit more than Rich Pierce's flints, and they don't last as long, so unless you are willing to pay a boatload more for flints just 'cause they look cool, i'd go with Mr. Pierce.

just one guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth what you paid.

Chevvies or Fords? I have found junk English and great English flints, junk French and great French flints. Sort of like whan Chevrolet was making the Chevette, Camaro, and Corvette all at the same time. Some of those cars were better than others. Point I'm trying to make is that trying one or two of a particular "type" (English, French, American, etc) is not like trying them all. And I'd caution against taking everyone's experiences as applying to your lock and what it prefers. I've had friends toss a flint out because it would not spark in their lock, put it in mine and get 20 shots just to annoy them.

I had to change flints last Sunday. Only got about 75 shots out of that last Rich Pierce flint. Maybe the new one will be better. They just don't make rock like they used to.

Agree, it depends on the Lock. My L&R hates the French. Last one I tried lasted three shots. Split in two on the last shot. In my Siler they work very well. You can hear the Sparks crackling and I am half deaf!!!!!Hafta try the Pierce rocks one of these days. Never heard any bad reports on them.Like Black Powder , the cost are going up and up....

Back