• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Embarrassed to admit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been shooting BP since the 60’s and thought I had a pretty good idea about how to shoulder various rifles. Last week I took my new to me .54cal Mowery out to sight it in. Loaded it with 70 grains of Goex 3fff. Pulled the trigger and it bit me! Tried another shot and my shoulder went numb. Have always shouldered just like my unmentionables. Vaguely remember reading about placing the butt against the bicep. Would someone be kind enough to explain to this pilgrim exactly how to shoulder a curved butt rifle? Thanks in advance.
Gemmer

Someone once told me that the curved butt rifle was designed to "shoot around a tree" and the butt was put on the upper arm above the bicep to gain that position. I prefer the wide stocked earlier rifles for hard kickers, although I must admit I have a Southern Rifle being built in .54. In a .32, .32, or .45 caliber, the skinny butt with a tight curve is pretty harmless. In a real thumper caliber, it can bring tears to the eyes.

ADK Bigfoot

A .54 should have a wide BP and fit into the shoulder or at least be wide enough not to hurt your arm. A hooked BP is mostly for the later small caliber(.45 and under) styles and goes on the arm. Those hooky buttplates can be painful on the shoulder. I had a friend who built a .54 Hawken with a BP about an inch wide on that rifle it looked almost like an axe blade. He shot his new rifle in a match, and the next day his upper arm was almost purple.

That narrow butt plate fits just below the shoulder joint and the bicep. The rifle will still recoil with authority and you will still get a bruise, but being on the arm instead of the chest allows for the recoil to push back the arm and not punish the chest.

Hawken and Gemmer rifles are notorious for the narrow butt plates, but compensate somewhat with extra weight.

Place the butt on your arm and slide it towards your chest, you will find the comfortable sweet spot, It usually stops there, you may need to elevate your elbow slightly.
My guess is you were bench shooting, shooting off the bench can make a curved butt bite something fierce.

Your assumption about bench shooting is correct! I’ve got a bruise that goes down my arm almost to the elbow and half way across my chest! I’ll shoot offhand next time and place the butt on my bicep close to the shoulder. At 80 years I’m not willing to wuss out yet.

Muzzleloaders generally don't kick compared to modern guns, but if you bench them or shoot prone they can bruise you something bad. 3 shots prone from an Enfield left me more bruised and sore than 300 rounds of trap shooting.
The stock/action design of the Mowrey probably doesn't help either.

Your assumption about bench shooting is correct! I’ve got a bruise that goes down my arm almost to the elbow and half way across my chest! I’ll shoot offhand next time and place the butt on my bicep close to the shoulder. At 80 years I’m not willing to wuss out yet.

The way I deal with that with a deep crescent butt plate is to buld the front rest up so that the body position similar standing. It helps to lower the stool if possible. But the thing that makes it work is to also build a rest for the elbow so that it's extended out as if standing.

I use sand bags.

They are shot off the arm, close to the shoulder. Look at the hooked buttplates used on Schuetzen rifles they are shot the same way.
Some ML make a lot of recoil and I don't recommend calibers over 54-58 with a crescent butrplate.
This is a Manton inspired FL sporting rifle shooting a 1 oz (437 gr) ball at 1600 fps. 140 gr FF Swiss. I don't shoot it much anymore, its hard on my messed up neck (not from shooting). The other rifle is my Don King Hawken with a .535 ball at about 1900.

I always take my High Wall to a guest day, no longer being in possession of a flinter. THAT has a curved butt-plate, and I'm always vociferous in my explanation as to the location of that bitey bit.

When shooting anything 50 caliber or larger from the bench I use my Past sissy pad. It absorbs the "bite" of the butt plate during recoil. I've seen other shooters that don't use some sort of pad, flinch so badly after a few shots that they don't even hit the paper on their target backer.

When shooting anything 50 caliber or larger from the bench I use my Past sissy pad. It absorbs the "bite" of the butt plate during recoil. I've seen other shooters that don't use some sort of pad, flinch so badly after a few shots that they don't even hit the paper on their target backer.
Me to. Goes under my shooting shirt. Makes me look like i have one big shoulder!

My Lyman GPR'S butt plate is thin and curved and if just wearing a thin T shirt as when shooting in the warmer months, it can be very painful after several shots. I place a folded towel over my shoulder then. When it's cold and I'm wearing thicker clothing it's not an issue.

I built a Leman rifle with a narrow Lyman curved butt. It had a .54 1 inch barrel, it was in full stock at 36”, longer and heavier then Leman originals in the day. So it was heavier then most lemans.
I knew how to hold them upper arm holds, as my first gun was a Mowery A&T rifle back in the 70s
However even with a 70 grain load that gun beat me to death. I think the butt was 1 3/8 thick.

They were designed by the Devil himself. If bench shooting do as suggested and get as upright as possible and use a pad. No sense in building bad habits.

KEEP ON TRUCKING DWIGHT!!!!

I had to give up my big (unmentionable) pistols cause old brittle bones got fractured. (Doc shakes his finger at me and says "NO MORE")
I will NOT give up my 58-62-75 cal smoke poles. Find a way to pad the butt and KEEP ON TRUCKIN' !

I think from antiquity the muzzle loading gun was designed and intended to shoot from an upright position. Not off a bench. Just my thoughts on shooting muzzle loading rifles of modern times.

Mushka, Some were, some weren't. Bench matches are shot with ML rifles that are built with false muzzles and massive barrels and were/are designed for shooting from a rest. So are Chunk Guns like the ones that used to be (and probably still are) popular in the eastern mountains for match shooting. Typical Pennsylvania, Southern Mountain, Poor Boy, Trade Rifles, and Plains Rifles are designed and built for off-hand shooting and many of them have the stocks slightly cast off, so crescent butt plates can be rested on a shooters upper arm instead of in his shoulder pocket. My recommendation would be NOT to shoot any heavy caliber ML rifle that has a crescent buttplate with the buttplate pressed into the shoulder socket. Ever. If you're doing that, you are placing your shoulder in position to resist the recoil rather than ride with it as you should. Worse, you're resisting recoil force that is concentrated on two metal-shod points instead of the entire surface of the butt plate. It's like being hit on the shoulder with a blunt rock pick .... twice. Ouch!
There's no reason to shoot that way off the bench unless you're into pain. If your rifle has a castoff in the stock and the rifle butt is comfortably located on your upper arm when you're shooting from rest, the sights should line with your eye.

Back