• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eighteenth Century Stitching Part Two Tapering thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecapgunkid

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This series of posts is to help craftsmen in making their leather stitching more authentic. The appearance of hunting bags, bullet bags, wallets , pouches, sheaths and so on will show a marked difference when this technique is used. It differs from modern leatherworking techniques in that;
Ӣ The stitches are smaller and tighter than those taught out of current craft manuals
Ӣ The holes are smaller than those made by rotary punches
Ӣ Needles, or bristles, used are considerably smaller than those used in modern stitching
Ӣ The thread is a different texture, substance and color that that used in the modern way (including artificial sinew)

Once a craftsman starts stitching in this historical technique, the work produced will have a distinctly different look. Once gotten used to as a practice, it will be hard to go back to pre-waxed thread, hole punchers and large harness needles.

One of the first skills I learned in my shoemaking apprenticeship was to taper thread ends so that they could utilize a smaller needle or bristle. DIFFERENT CRAFTSMEN TAPER THREAD IN DIFFERENT WAYS. If you can learn this particular method, any way you taper from here will probably be just as good. Suit yourself.

We use unwaxed thread here”¦most often linen. Just do a search on the net and you will find a vendor who sells it. Some of us Old Timers will use Hemp and linen mixes, but that is a detail you have to look for to see in your work.
The strands of the thread are referred to as “Plys”. The tendency is to write “plies”, but I won’t. Most thread is anywhere from three to five to eight ply. My original role of Barbours 5 ply is still in use since 1976. Lose the pre- waxed thread.

Open your weak hand like making a pistol”¦index finger out and thumb sticking up in the air. Take a piece of thread and wrap it loosely around the first joint on your index finger. The end of the thread should be parallel to your thumb but you have to pin there by moving that thumb else it won’t stay Once you pin it it will stay pinned until the end of this process. The end beyond your fingers should be about four to five inches or maybe a little more.

With your free hand, unwrap the entire thread end by twisting it against its natural twist. It’ll come apart a little reluctantly.

Be the thread”¦

Let the loose ends flop around out there. Now divide the number of plys in half, and gather one half. Five ply thread should be 2 and 3. Anything heavier than that should be divided into thirds”¦3,3 and 2, for example.

You are going to fuzz the ends of the plys, one ply progressively shorter than the previous. To do this take a sharp knife and pin the first set of the thread between the edge of the blade and your thumb pad about three quarter way up the end. You will instinctively not hold that too tight. Draw the blade, keeping it at 90 degrees to the thread, repeatedly, firmly and gently to gradually fuzz the end. If you end up snipping the end or tearing or cutting it off, you are holding the blade too tightly or at an angle. If you are doing it right, you are going to make a lot of passes and gently and gradually fuzz the end of the plys. For those who don’t want a knife edge on their flesh, you can also pin the thread on the bench and draw it across a knife edge. This is shown in the photo. You do it right you end up with the right fuzz. You do either wrong and you will snip the thread.

So be careful, Saint Crispen.

My master used to do this without a knife, using his thumb finger nail. He would work each ply until it fuzzed where he wanted it and then tug. I can do that with hemp thread but I never mastered the technique consistently with linen so I punk out and use the knife.
When you are satisfied with the fuzzy taper ( it’ll probably take you several tries to get the right feel and technique, so get the wife, the beer, the kids and the puppy out of the room), put a little spit on the plys and twist it IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE NATURAL TWIST OF THE THREAD. Goof this and it won’t work. When you get it tightly “reverse” wound, push it aside and do the same thing with the other set of thread plys, this time starting about one third of the way back from the tip instead of one quarter. Working from longer to shorter on the plys will help you if you goof up and snip the ply.

My Master was amazing at how he’d get three plys to be short, medium and long every time. It isn’t necessary, but as you get more experienced keep trying for that. It makes your tapers even and reliable when you are stitching
Now you have two separate, reverse wrapped ends coming to two points. They will naturally loosen up a little. One is a wee bit shorter than the other. Remember that you twisted these ends against their will and natural twist. Make sure they are reasonably tight in that reverse twist .
This is the frustrating part. Still pinning the thread with index/thumb, place the two ends on your thigh, down by your knee. Pin them both with the palm of your free hand against your thigh. The free hand is going to roll these ends toward your body, increasing that reverse twist. The hand pinning the thread with index/thumb is going to keep some tension on this as you roll. When you roll up your thigh until the thread ends wrap, reverse the roll rapidly toward your knee and increase the pressure of your free hand. Firmly push the rolling thread end as you move toward your knee, kinda sorta letting your free hand stray off toward the thread pointy end rather than staying at 90 degrees to the thread. This helps keep the taper gradual and even graceful.

You will notice that you wrapped a taper into this thread. That’s because the tension you put into the thread when you reversed the twist is now expressing itself by intertwining the two ends. If you did it right, the twist in the taper is gradual and comes to a dandy looking gradual point.

It took me about six months to get this right. If you did not spit and wrap tight enough, the finished thread will not be tightly wrapped. If you did not pull slightly with the index/thumb or push at a slight angle with your palm hand when rolling toward your knee the twist may be too compact and uneven. You can pull the end toward you again and go back out to the knee to straighten it out.

This is a skill in and of itself. Unlike the previous post about awls that everyone should use, this requires practice and skill.

Some guys don’t bother to unwrap the plys and just go ahead and fuzz the whole end at once. They usually cite a shortage of time. That’s OK, but I always found my needles would stay threaded during stitching in tighter stabbed holes when I did it the way I am describing here. Sah-zeetch his own.

Wax the manure out of your thread, giving particular attention to the tip. You can’t get enough wax into the thread. Now you are ready to thread your needle. I wear bi-focals, so this is the worst part for me.

The sole reason to do this is to allow you to use smaller needles than the conventional ten penny nails sold as harness needles in craft stores. When combined with the stabbing of the awl described in a previous and upcoming post, there will be such a pronounced difference in your stitching that you will never come back to hole punchers and big needles. That’s what the old timers did. That’s how your work will look far more authentic in its detail.

Next Post, we will show how to use this tapered thread end and set up the stitching. By the way”¦once you learn this technique, it will take you less time to execute than it did to read this post. In fact, just for poops and giggles, try this one on for size”¦take a piece of thread about four feet long. Double it up on a hook on the wall. Using the reverse twist principle, unwrap one side, pin it and unwrap the second side. When they are both really tense and reverse- unwrapped, using your palms and firm, brisk pressure, wrap them again. Remember the comments earlier about intertwining hemp and flax? That’s how it’s done. For years I have been using two plys hemp and one ply linen on my uppers. I had them both spun for me by a craftswoman. Once waxed up thoroughly, this makes a tight looking thread.

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/thecapgunkid/media/holdingtheend_zps777b4224.jpg.[img]

[img]http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/thecapgunkid/media/taperingbytrimmingthethread_zpse26515e6.jpg[img]

[img]http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/thecapgunkid/media/rollingthetaper_zps2f0ce930.jpg.[img]

forgot this picture...it will show how to thread the needle

Threadingdiagram_zpsa8152eda.jpg[img]

First, Thanks Clyde for rescuing the pictures. Next post I'll take your advice.

That's sinew in the picture because a lot of guys are going to try this with sinew, its being more available than flax thread.

I may take another shot with 5 ply if enough folks ask about it. When I published these pieces years ago I was surprised at how many people asked about sinew and I may not have kept all the photos.

Greg,

Do you prefer 5 ply thread over the other number of plys for a special reason? I take it from your post it allows a 3 ply thread for some use and a 2 ply thread for even thinner leathers?

Gus

Good question, Articifer

I work generally with 5 ply on projects with the stiffer, thicker cowhide such as sheaths, holsters and some parts of western saddle work.

When I am working in the 18th century context of, say, uppers for a pair of batts or Jefferson Bootees, I'll use the 2-ply hemp 1 ply linen combination. Once the hemp is introduced the tapering goes a lot faster and is easier to control.

I tend not to like 8 ply in 18th century work because the outcome seems a little industrial to me...same about pre-waxed thread that was started to accommodate machine stitching in the 19th century.

That's just a personal preference, perhaps based in my talent limitations

Greg,

That's good info.

As for myself with no training back in the 70's, I used a lot of artificial sinew, but learned to strip it down to less plys for many projects. Then I stopped using it in the 80's after learning some about linen thread. I still don't know as much as I would like about the number of plys to use on different projects.

I find your use of hemp plys to be fascinating. Does hemp give you more bulk in the thread or some other benefit I do not know?

Thanks again,
Gus

Gus, I wish I knew about why the hemp. I know it was widely used but it was one of those things my Master taught me that I just learned and did not ask about.

I find today that about half of my projects will take sinew well and the other half need the thread.

It maybe because good hemp thread is the strongest known plant fiber especially when "waxed" with a good coad. I have a friend who makes bagpipes and apparently hemp is the go to thread for sewing up the air bags at something like 16 SPI.
BTW - if a I can remember later I will scan images of 5 cord and 3 cord linen as well as some single strand fine hemp and post them - some of us old geezers still like to make up our own threads of multi cores at times especially for fine threads. I keep an eye out on EBay for such thread - it comes up fairly regularly anyway.
In fact here's some available now for a VERY good price:
Link to Acadia Hemp Thread

Hemp is some tough stuff. It was a main raw product in my area in colonial times. I like to "roll my own" sometimes. Geez that and hemp dont go together very well. I am talking thread here!!! I dont mess with the othet junk:rotf:

Greg,

I did not realize Hemp thread was widely used during the period or it did not get through my thick head. Good info!

LaBonte,

I did not realize Hemp fiber was stronger than linen, though of course it was the material of choice for rope before and during the 18th and 19th centuries. Good info! I wondered how they sewed up the air bag in Bagpipes to ensure the air would stay in the bag.

Capt.Jas.,

I knew Hemp was a huge export product here in Virginia in the colonial era, but I did not realize they used it in thread. For some reason, I equated only linen thread with the English or British leather working traditions that were followed here.

To all three of you,

Gents, this is really good info and I do appreciate it to make leather work more period correct. Is there a special way to twist/blend the hemp thread with linen thread or would using hemp thread alone be better for we novices?

Gus

Gus raises a good point about the hemp. I twist up 2 ply 1 ply out of habit because that's the way I was taught.

I have done it by hand, finding a twist of about one to the inch, or sometimes using a drill in reverse and then forward to wind. That always gets me to about two to the inch but there is really no way to know if that's right.

I guess right depends on a comfort level.

I have also noticed that hemp likes COAD and linen likes Beeswax. Have not the vaguest as to why.

Greg,

Even though I made 18th century reproduction military and civilian cartridge boxes, shooting pouches, over the shoulder sword and bayonet hangers and other items in the 70's and 19th century last formed cartridge and cap boxes, holsters and other items in the 80's along with other items since, I still consider myself only a novice leather worker with a lot to learn.

I mention this because until Capt.Jas. and Labonte brought up the word "COAD" on another forum some time ago, I had never heard of it. I had been using beeswax as a lubricant on linen thread since I first switched over to it (from artificial sinew) in the 80's.

The reason I mention this is because I think some folks on this forum who are interested in your posts may also not realize what you and LaBonte are talking about when you mention the word "COAD." So may I ask what you use as COAD? I found it very interesting you specified COAD when using hemp thread over beeswax.

Gus

Excited to hear some of the info. you bring to the discussion on shoe and bootmaking. I have little knowledge in that, dont ever plan to do it myself as I can barely do what I do now but very intrigued by that facet of the craft.

Capt. Jas. said:
Excited to hear some of the info. you bring to the discussion on shoe and bootmaking.

For those interested in shoe/bootmaking check out the Crispin Colloquy as well - IIRC the cordwainer from Williamsburg posts/has posted there http://www.thehcc.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

learning about the various types of coad and methods of making it can be a study in itself

Last edited by a moderator:
Back