• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Effects of Lee R.E.A.L. bullets on game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walley

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Do the R.E.A.L. bullet's impact on deer usally leave any blood or hair at the POI? I shot a doe this morning using a 320gr 50cal r.e.a.l. bullet. And no blood or hair was found, but the deer seemed to be wounded when it left the area after the shot. Tail was tucked running at first, then she slowed to a fast trot as she was going out of sight. The cover was kind of thick, so about 60yds or less was as far as I could see her from my tree stand before she vanished. I combed the area pretty well but haven't come up with anything as of yet. So I was wandering if any of you fellas have experinced anything similar while using the r.e.a.l. bullets.

Thanks for any input.

I use T/C maxi balls which have the same nose profile as a REAL bullet. They punch a nice hole through the deer and may or may not expand. the exit hole is normally not more than 1". they won't bleed or have impact splatter like they would if shot with a high powered rifle. I shot a deer once with my .45 cal with maxi-ball and hit too far forward on the chest, only nicked the organs and I didn't start seeing blood in its trail till 150-200 yards of tracking! Find the hoof marks and track 'em! You may have to get down on your hands and knees to see which way the deer is going...if you hit it and you track it's trail long enough you will find blood.

Once you start finding blood, it's really handy if you always carry some orange survey ribbon with you. Leave a piece at every blood spatter and you will start to see where the deer is heading making the tracking easier...eventually you will find it...dead.

Jayhem said:
Once you start finding blood, it's really handy if you always carry some orange survey ribbon with you.

I carry a little travel/purse size pack of kleenex to mark trails with. They dispense easily and if I end up leaving some in place it will dissolve without a trace after the first good hard rainfall.

Ka Boom said:
Do the R.E.A.L. bullet's impact on deer usally leave any blood or hair at the POI? I shot a doe this morning using a 320gr 50cal r.e.a.l. bullet. And no blood or hair was found, but the deer seemed to be wounded when it left the area after the shot. Tail was tucked running at first, then she slowed to a fast trot as she was going out of sight. The cover was kind of thick, so about 60yds or less was as far as I could see her from my tree stand before she vanished. I combed the area pretty well but haven't come up with anything as of yet. So I was wandering if any of you fellas have experinced anything similar while using the r.e.a.l. bullets.

Thanks for any input.

If you doublelunged her she woud have shown a blood trail right off, even with a high lung shot being a small ungulate, she would have dropped blood.
I have never had a deer go more than 50 yrds if lunged with a conicle, you may have paunched her with her head and tail down, was her back raised?
Also I have seen missed deer act in the same way not flying the flagand running like hell as normal.
Could you have shot over her, shooting down from a tree stand, thats more common than you think.
As for hair, unless they rub against somthing I have never seen blown off hair from the thirty some odd big game animals I have harvested with a muzzleloader.
You do see some hair disruption with lg cal centerfire rifles(sometimes).
I would grid off your area and do a search but by now it's lost, look for crows. It would be a good idea to see where you hit it anyway.

I hit a doe in 2006 with a conical and it was a fresh snow thank god. Anyway I could see where I had fired the muzzle loader it left some residue on the snow you all may be familar what this looks like. Anyway I followed the tracks where the group came in and found the blood mist the blood mist was less pronounced on the fresh snow than the powder residue in the snow comparing red to black. Here a drop at 20 yards from the place she was shot. Then Nothing In 75 yards up a slight incline I found her double lunged and dead. Out of curiosity and self education I followed the missing trail uphill because she ran about 110-125 yards up hill could not clear a fence and ran back down hill hitting trees stumbling and leaving a ton of sign. I suggest making a circle I would have not seen her had I not done this and seen her brown back because her white belly was well hidden. One year thought I lost a deer in a gully because it was between two hills and burried in 2 feet of leaves that accumilated I only saw a hoof.

Well guys I went back and carried some reading glasses with me this time. I got down on all four's and found a little hair that had drifted down on to some spider webs at the POI. It was a very little amount of it. Nothing like what you would get from a high shock bullet strike, but enough for evidence of a hit. The color ranged from a light brown or tan 1-1/2" long coarse hair to a much shorter darker softer textured hair. The shorter hair resembled the hair at the base of the head behind the ears. I combed an area of about 250yds till it just got to thick for me to travel. Not a drop of blood was ever found and nether was the deer I'm sad to say. :shake:

I had jump these deer walking into my stand and they scattered out like quail. I think this one was coming back to regroup with the others. She was in a fast walk coming through and wouldn't hesitate or pause at anytime. It's pretty thick in there with the foliage still on. So I picked out a small opening at about 35yds and waited for her to enter it. When I shot she was behind the cloud of smoke for a second or so. So I don't know if she could've been down, or just standing there locked up from the shock. When she came out from behind the smoke cloud, she had her flag up for a split second (the first leap) and then jerked it down tightly to her rump dropped her head and sped away.

Supercracker said:
Jayhem said:
Sounds like a good option...unless it's a windy day.

I kind of assumed that the weighting it down or wrapping on a twig part was obvious.................but oh well

I was just messing with you. I use the surveyer ribbon because it's easy to tie it to twigs, saplings/etc and it's highly visible. I may try the tissue option though as it's easier to carry.

One of the things we have tried and found success with is to start where the animal was last seen and walk in a cork screw, circling wider and wider as you go. Always worked if the animal was recoverable.

wow every elk I shot with a real bullet went down fast and hard! I staggerd one stood looking around for 2-3 seconds then fell. the others hit the ground when shot. :hmm: makes me wonder if you missed or not hit it in the vitals.

This is not intended for you in particular, and is more of a rhetorical question to all who have posted:

What is wrong with actually learned to TRACK footprints of the deer through the forest tuff?

Blood trails are ICING ON THE CAKE- even if you hit a deer well. Its very nice to have, as it tells you WHERE the animal is Hit, WHETHER the animal is Hit, and HOW SERIOUS the wound is. The color of the blood can tell you what organs have been injured.

But, I have tracked several deer that bled internally for many yards, and only hemorrhaged enough to put blood on the ground shortly before they died. Deer fur can absorb a lot of blood when a major artery is NOT hit. So, as nice as blood evidence is to follow, Its NOT THE MAIN DEAL.

Here, the shooter Finally went back, got down low to the ground, and found deer fur indicating a possible location of his bullet's hit. He should have done that at the onset.

BUT HE SHOULD ALSO HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE TRACKS OF THE DEER HE SHOT beginning where its 4 feet were located when the shot was fired.

Deer FLINCH, or studder, when shot at or Hit. The 4 feet make a couple of inches of Drag in the leaves,mud/dirt, clay, etc. they are standing on( or walking on) when shot. Those 4 marks, and the footprints of each of the 4 feet are the clearest picture of that Particular deer's individual feet that any hunter/tracker is going to have, until the animal is found dead. They show all the class characteristics of the feet- how long, and how wide each of the two toes on all 4 feet are, and how wide the footprint is.

But they also show "accidentals"-- ie., marks on individual toes that are caused by the deer stepping on stones, or other hard surfaces that take chips out of the toes, and in some cases, damage the toes enough that the toe is permanently deformed.

The Accidentals are what we use to separate OUR deer's tracks, from those of any other animal. The wound often also adds a unique characteristic to the gait pattern of that deer, and that becomes another individual characteristic of that deer that we use.

The Size of the footprints, both width and length, the trail width- is wider the larger the deer- sex differentiation- Does have wider hips to allow for the birth canal, so their rear feet step on the walking tracks of the front feet, but wider, leaving a double wall on the inside of the track, representing both the front and rear tracks-- stride length, and straddle- the distance between the insides of both front and rear tracks, which we also use in determining sex from the tracks-- are all used to sort out OUR deer from others. Use a tracking stick to measure the stride and step intervals, so that you can locate the next track.

IF you do have a "Blood trail", understand that a walking deer( which injured deer resort to as soon as they get over the initial shock) will leave blood drops about every 4 feet on the trail. If you cut a stick that is 4 feet long, or about up the middle of your chest on most men, you can place the end of the stick NEXT to the drop of blood you find, and then lay the stick down in the direction of travel to locate the next drop. It usually will be found within 6 inches, plus/minus of the end of your stick. If you missed a turn, the stick can be left in that position near the last drop of blood as you move slowly in arcs to be right and left to locate the next drop of the blood and its trail.

I have tested myself as a tracker, doing my step by step method, vs. Blood trackers, using toilet paper, trashing the forest floor, and in every case where the deer chose a fork in the trail to follow, the blood trackers went the wrong way. It became a sad imitation of the Tortoise and the Hare, With me, and the Land owner, finding the next tiny drop of blood down the "Other fork"( which I determined the deer would follow because I first determined Eye Dominance to be Right Eye Dominant from this deer's gait), telling the two blood trackers I had found blood, both of them Running over to my location, dropping TP on the blood, having no regard for the deer's tracks, nor for what I was doing, and then hurrying on to the next fork, where they went Left, instead of Right. We did this dance several times, and even the landowner, a retired Deputy Sheriff, who thought very highly of these two men as hunters, began to shake his head at their refusal to stop and take a few moments to consider Why they were always losing the trail, while I just kept finding one footprint after another.
ANSWER: They were thinking like humans, instead of like a deer. They always chose the fork of any path that was the Widest, and had the most head room to make it easier for a human to walk upright. They knew there was a ford across the river on the property off to the Left, and they were sure( I still don't know why :idunno: ) That the deer was heading for that ford.

The deer actually was going around a bed of horseweeds- tall dried stalks that grow close together, and offer great cover-- which he entered from the South, after we had tracked him heading north to the first fork. He layed down leaving us a large spot of blood from a chest wound, but a grazing wound to the front of his chest. The bullet had Not entered his Chest cavity. He got up and sneaked out while we were tracking him past the forks, our concentration totally on the problems at hand, and went back South, past the tree stand where the hunter was when he shot the deer, and off the owner's property onto a neighbor's property, where even the land owner did not have permission to go to recover deer.( The adjoining land owner was Anti-hunting, and had tried to cause difficulties for the deer hunters on my friend's property for years.)

We did spend a bit of time on that property, trying to pick up tracks, but the deer went into tall grass, with numerous trails leading into pines. In the poor light at the end of the day, it was clear we simply could not follow that deer further until the next day. The deer was moving well, and the lack of blood after he got up out of his bed indicated that the wound was closing up and scabbing over. We had no drops of blood along his trail after he got up out of his bed.

There was plenty of cover, water, and food all around, so the deer could hide in the pines for days without being seen, or approached close enough to get another shot. He could survive the wound. If not, the coyotes would get him. Without permission to go on that land, we simply could not do a further search to find the deer. Grrrr. ( I hate having to give up a trail when I have invested so much time in it.)

The two men walked off and went up to check the ford of the river, and didn't come back until after dark. The landowner had a bit of fun with them, Demanding to know who was going to clean up " All that trash" they had left in HIS woods! The guilty looks on their faces were priceless, but the owner smiled, and let them understand he wasn't really mad at them.

He did talk to me privately, and told me he had heard about "trackers", but had never seen it done. He had also heard around the Courthouse that I was a tracker, so he was very interested at how I approached tracking that deer compared to the two blood trackers. If they had simply turned around and looked at the trail of TP they had left on the flat ground in the old forest, they would have been able to determine that this deer was Right Eye Dominant, But they didn't even use their own work to help them in finding the next blood spot.

He was with me step by step, and I showed him each track of the deer, and, of course, the blood drops we found, reading the tracks for him to tell him about the deer we were following. He noted the obvious: That this kind of tracking might prove very useful finding and tracking human suspects at crime scenes, too. :shocked2: :grin:

I am not expecting an answer to my rhetorical question. I am concerned, when reading posts like this, that all this effort and energy is being employed by good men- ethical hunters all-- when I Know that simply learning to read sign and footprints will get the job done better. Tracking sounds impossible, until you learn how to use the light to help see tracks, and then learn how to read tracks and sign. No, not everyone does it, because most people won't even try. If it were "Easy", everyone would do it. :hmm: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Not to hijack the thread, but...
Paul, that is one amazing story!
In all my years of hunting, I've never given a thought as to whether a deer is left or right eye dominant, and how it might affect his flight.
Most hunters "hunt" up to the point where the bullet leaves the muzzle. After that, it's retrieve and drag.
I wish I'd had you with me in Minnesota back in '02, when I broadsided a little doe, and her forelegs buckled and she "skied" down the hill on her belly, only to flail to all four and head for the deep swampy stuff.The blood trail petered out after 50 yards or so.
I tracked that doe, along with Goody (another member on the board here) and three other hunters, for several hours. We lost the trail back in the swamp and fallen logs, and it still bothers me to this day.

Back to the R.E.A.L. bullet: I'm guessing that the hit was non-fatal, or a near-miss. A bullet graze on a whitetail can remove a deceptive amount of hair. The slower lock time of a BP gun combined with a slower projectile speed (you don't mention your load) can give the deer time to body-drop more than you might be used to with a conventional firearm.
Terminal ballistics of the R.E.A.L. are quite good..and as previously mentioned, a double-lunger or heart shot should have been quickly fatal.
I suggest next time you hunt that you take Paul along! :wink:

Sorry, Capper. I do a bit better than that. I promise to not write anything further about tracking on the forum this year.

My only purpose was to demonstrate to very fine hunters that there is a "Traditional" way to follow up on game that really does work, but it takes effort, and time to learn to do it well.

I had no mentor, or teacher to teach me to read tracks and sign when I was a kid. I was in my late 20s when I found my first good book on tracking. I was in my 40s when I took my first "Tracking" class. Every track taught me more, and answered more questions about what I didn't understand earlier in my efforts. All the good books now available have filled in other "blanks"( ie. unanswered questions) I have had over the years, and raised new one. Trust me, I didn't start out knowing anything that I wrote here to tease members into knowing what is possible. :hmm: :idunno: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For me, tracking is a means to " Hunt" 365 days a year, even in urban areas. :hatsoff:

Back