• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Economical flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
THe Local Cabelas here in Michigan had the Lyman Deerstalker in Flintlock for $300 on clearance. I would think this would be a good way to start if you wanted to hunt with it.

"economical" and "flintlock" used in the same sentence can often be oxymoronic.
If the store will let you, do test that locks sparking abilities before laying down any cash. Otherwise the price seems reasonable.

I don't have one but I do have a couple GPR's. If the Deerstalker is made simular to them it will need some mods to make it a really good gun. But the mods are easy to do and you will end up with a nice rifle. As good as anybodies! :grin:
I do recommend 50 or 54 cal and not 45, however for deer.

While not a fan of cheap flintlocks, the Lymans caplocks are capable of good accuracy. If cheap is necessary, go for it.

:grin:
I have both a cap and a flinter that I have had for over 10 years and have used the percussion for a lot of hide hitting the ground...got a couple new "custom" flinters so I never hunted with the flint....gave it to my son, and he still shoots it and loves it!
If you want to call it cheap...well...so be it, it is well put together, but I will tell you that both guns I own are solid to the core.
Hard to beat a lyman deerstalker for a "cheap" gun....but thats just my opinion! :thumbsup:

Hard to beat a lyman deerstalker for a "cheap" gun....but thats just my opinion!

For putting game on the ground, especially from a box stand, a Lyman is not a bad choice.

CS

Stay away from Traditions fl rifle. Aquanence of mine got one last Christmas "on sale" for $250. New out of the box. Lousy lock and I had to replace it with L&R to get it to go poof-boom.

I have two Traditions flinters. Both locks work very well. Could be luck of the draw so I shouldn't discard.

tradions and the CVA can be had at good prices but agreed one must change out the lock for a replacement L&R one to get it to go POOF- boom
like it should

My question about the Deerstalker at this point is this: does it have the interchangeable barrel system like the Great Plains rifles do? I punch paper with my smokepole, and I would like to keep with the 45 cal. theme that I have going (T/C hawken in 45, and Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in 45 cal.) If it does, I would like to put a GM 45 cal barrel on it.

no it does not have those barrels to switch out, mine has 1:32 stamped on the barrel and shoots well with both, better wth conicals though. Had a friend have a .40 cal barrel made for his deer stalker and loves it!
"Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it."

Back