• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early 18th century German flintlock gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Early 18th century German flintlock gun, signed by Andreas Gans in Augspurg, caliber 15 mm, length 126 cm.
274992_max.jpg

274992_detail2_max.jpg

274992_detail3_max.jpg

274992_detail4_max.jpg

274992_detail5_max.jpg

274992_detail6_max.jpg

274992_detail7_max.jpg

274992_detail8_max.jpg

274992_detail9_thumb.jpg

:hatsoff:

:thumbsup: like that partial buttplate... and look how far up the barrel the transition is to the oct to round.

For people like me that can not think in Metric its overall lenght is 49.6" and its about a .60 cal

Thank you for these pictures, Undertaker. I can see the " paternity " of the later longrifles made in Pennsylvania in this gun. Reduce the diameter and caliber of the barrel, reduce the width and thickness of the stock, to lighten the gun, and you have the Pennsylvania long rifle of the late 18th century, for sure.

This is a fowling gun. The barrel is Spanish, more than likely.
I like the toe plate. :thumbsup:

Mike Brooks said:
This is a fowling gun. The barrel is Spanish, more than likely.
I like the toe plate. :thumbsup:

Yip Mike, wrong thread. :redface:
And as Roy said: ..look how far up the barrel the transition is to the oct to round.

Blizzard of 93 said:
nice gun, I wondered if it was a smoothy. :thumbsup:
Probably , if it was rifled it would have had a rear sight. Some of these were straight rifled for boar hunting, but they had a rear sight.

Don't know much asre German guns but that sure is a prominent cheekpiece....nearly looks like it might be difficult to get the head into shooting position?.....Fred

Mike Brooks said:
Blizzard of 93 said:
nice gun, I wondered if it was a smoothy. :thumbsup:
Probably , if it was rifled it would have had a rear sight. Some of these were straight rifled for boar hunting, but they had a rear sight.

I think it is a smoothie.Take a closer look.
274992_detail6_max.jpg

Does it look to anyone else that the trigger guard is carved out of the stock? Pretty neat.

Trench said:
Does it look to anyone else that the trigger guard is carved out of the stock? Pretty neat.
The trigger guard is wood, but it is a separate piece from the stock.

Nice pictures - these helped me answer a question I had. I am presently doing a Jaeger build, Paul Poser model. The lock on the Poser that I am using for reference stood out rather dramtically from the stock. This looked stange as many American guns have locks that are mounted just slightly out of the stock. Yet I see on this one that the lock plate is, like the Poser, standing out from the stock. Is this traditional for the Jaegers to have their locks placed such?

YOu might also notice that the bottom of the cock will pivot out over the lock mortise. If the lock had been seated flush with the stock, there is some likelihood that it might rub against the cock's inside and slow the hammerfall, or break out wood at the bottom of the lock mortise. :thumbsup:

J.R. said:
Nice pictures - these helped me answer a question I had. I am presently doing a Jaeger build, Paul Poser model. The lock on the Poser that I am using for reference stood out rather dramtically from the stock. This looked stange as many American guns have locks that are mounted just slightly out of the stock. Yet I see on this one that the lock plate is, like the Poser, standing out from the stock. Is this traditional for the Jaegers to have their locks placed such?
All locks are supposed to be inlet this way. This is why it is so important to study originals instead of contemporary guns.

That's it exactly. The Italians would carve the triggerguards out of wood, and this is in imitation of that. Except that the Italians would often (always?) carve the guard directly from the wood of the stock and it is totally integral!

Mike Brooks said:
Trench said:
The trigger guard is wood, but it is a separate piece from the stock.

I wonder if there is an extra word in english for that?
In german there is one - "Kapuzinerschäftung"
Translated right away that would be "capuchin stocked"
Don´t ask me about the origin of the german term, could be from the capuchin-monk order but I have no info on that. :surrender:

I have no idea how my response to Romeoh got placed ahead of his post. :confused:

:grin:

Back