• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Schoultz and Blackpowder Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that he's doing well ... i bought his system some years ago and when it arrived in the mail, my daughter said that it "looked a bit thin." So i took it out and read it.

It works, even for a klutz such as myself. As to the price, i can only say that if you were to hire even a pretty inexpensive coach for just a few hours, you'd spend a boatload more and learn a whole lot less than if you take the time to read Mr. Schoultz' monograph.

Then there's the cost of the powder you don't burn and the lead you don't shoot, because his system will certainly get you dialed in a lot faster than the old try- it- and- see method.

I think that what he's done for the ML community far exceeds the recognition he gets: we all owe him a great debt of gratitude.

I ordered his shooting system June 9, I received on June 13. Ya just don't find service like that anymore..I look forward to trying it out in the coming weeks.The pamphlet is chalked FULL of priceless information that would have taken me YEARS and who knows how much powder and round balls to figure it out for myself.
THANKS DUTCH!

Well Dan, part of your problem appears to be that you are shooting against Steve Garbe. :grin:

reading this thread prompted me to buy it too,got an Email from Dutch the day I ordered and in a couple of days it appeared in the mail.I've been shooting ML for 30+yrs and I still learned a good bit that made sense and I'm sure it will help with some of my more elusive issues I've been unable to resolve on my own.I was really impressed with his problem solving method and the sample /diagnostic targets will certainly help anyone

Thanks Dutch :hatsoff:

Ive owned my ML for about 15 years, give or take. I got the information recently (thanks Dutch.) I expect to find a motherload of good advice in it since I never knew how to approach accuracy with BP.
(The last time I really tried to get any accuracy out of her I was using my tried and true CF rifle techniques. Load it with your preferred power and practice practice practice. Never change anything, that wouldn't make sense.. :doh:
P.S. never did get true accuracy out of a CF rifle either that way, go figure..)

You're discouraged? Ha. I always am pretty sure I'm the oldest old Ph--t in the building except at the hospitals.
I note the ages ,when stated , of the subscribers of this Forum. We have got to do something to get younger members.

If you have a chance let some younger person enjoy the experience of shooting a BP Rifle.

I converted quite a few at the range when anyone showed curiosity about the old time noisy cloud maker. I would show them the whole process and let them have a shot. Usually two shots because of the set trigger going off unexpectedly.

As the rifle was accurate they would usually see that they did well and in a surprising number of cases They would reappear at the range with a T/C or CVA and I would begin coaching them.

Dutch

Adui said:
Ive owned my ML for about 15 years, give or take. I got the information recently (thanks Dutch.) I expect to find a motherload of good advice in it since I never knew how to approach accuracy with BP.
(The last time I really tried to get any accuracy out of her I was using my tried and true CF rifle techniques. Load it with your preferred power and practice practice practice. Never change anything, that wouldn't make sense.. :doh:
P.S. never did get true accuracy out of a CF rifle either that way, go figure..)

Even in BPCRs people have to forget everything they learned about loading smokeless except priming and maybe sizing cases.
There are some similarities between ML and BPCR but they are few and are basically due to both using BP.

Dan

Dutch you are not the oldest guy in the building I have 2 yrs on you but I don't buy green bananas either.Thanks for developing your system it works.

I do appreciate your point. And I often do give people the chance to fire a couple of shots with my flintlock. Be it younger or older people...
Problem over here is the severity of our gun laws.
Many rules - much paperwork etc...
Guns are also divided in different categories, like: rifles - shotguns - pistols - revolvers - BP... If you obtain a license for a pistol you cannot buy a revolver ... :youcrazy: :idunno: For each categorie exams have to be past ... So BP and certainly flintlocks ar most of the time the last categorie of guns people decide to buy... Sad but over here there is no 2nd amendment - rather the contrary... Most of the time it is only the gangsters that have guns - and more and more we then speak of AK 47 or 74... :doh:

So very very true. The only thing my father-in-law and I ever agreed upon was:"Once you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have them!." :idunno:

We have got to do something to get younger members.

Can't dispute that. But the problem is not limited to the ml avocation. All organizations a suffering from a lack of younger people coming into their organizations. It seems to be a factor of the times. Young people (that's anyone of pre-retirement age) have many other activities to occupy their time they just don't take an interest in traditional pursuits. My son and daughter-in-law have three children. Between work, chauffering the kids to various activities (school, sports, music, etc., etc....) they can't even find time to think about such things as joining a fraternal organization or taking up a sport for themselves. All we can do is try.

Dutch Schoultz said:
We have got to do something to get younger members.
You hear this all the time, in every sport. If they wanted to be here, they would be. I doubt that there's any young people out there saying, "We've got to reach the old farts". They don't care about others as long as they're having a good time. That's what we should be doing. IMO

There's some youngsters here. Maybe not as many as you geezers would like :grin: but we're here and we'll do our part to keep the traditions alive. I'm trying to talk my brother-in-law into buying a flinter, and I've gone shooting a few times with my 15 and 7 yr old nephews.

As Rifleman pointed out free time is pretty well limited for a lot of us. I've got a two year old and a four month old and I feel lucky if I get a couple hours a week to shoot my converted CVA flintlock or work on my new build.

You're doing pretty good for time. I'm retired but between normal stuff and daycare for 3 grandkids (7, 3, and 1) I hardly have time to get out shooting, fishing, whatever. Evenings come and I'm too tired to do much. Many of my guns are feeling totally neglected.

When You're 84 your grandkids are having their own kids.

When I first got into ML shooting I felt that as long as I could get about I had a sportI could practice .
Well I can get about fine, Bicycle 2 miles everyday BUT I can't shoot anything because my Eyes have gone south.

Keep getting your eyes checked for glaucoma so that maybe you can slow not down if you catch it soon enough.

Dutch

I got my copy today Dutch, and I learned a lot. I have been at this game for more than 33 years and have never seen it explained any better. I have only read Black Powder Accuracy but rest assured I will read and re read everything. I am a writer by profession, and my hat is off to you.

Would just like to say thanks Dutch - I won the 200 yard 10 shots off hand + 10 from a rest last Friday with an original "Ounce Rifle" .608 ball (all weighed) + .026 sail cloth patch - spit lube and 75 grains of FF powder

justmike said:
Would just like to say thanks Dutch - I won the 200 yard 10 shots off hand + 10 from a rest last Friday with an original "Ounce Rifle" .608 ball (all weighed) + .026 sail cloth patch - spit lube and 75 grains of FF powder

That's an endorsement. :applause: Even if you didn't use Dutch's 'dry lube'. :wink:
Tell us about the sail cloth.

Latest posts

Back