• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Duraflints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron maiden

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I still have some of the Duraflints from the 1990's. They worked well for about 20 shots, and then quit working because they polished the frizzen smooth.

Overall, they were a big letdown. I use the Tom Fuller English black and Jean Jacques Dutrieux French amber flints...both are very nice and work quite well in all of my flintlocks.

I have used the black English Flints for over 25 years. Just recently bought some made by Rich Pierce that work very well. Rich posts on this forum.

TC

I got two dozen from Rich and liked the performance to start with but the schedule has prevented me from seeing how long they hold up. Earning a living gets in the way of all my fun. :yakyak:

ohio, i agree, and what's worse, i just can't bring myself to ditch that nasty work-ethic thing with which i was saddled as a young man.

as regards the black english flints, they work great... i like, also, Rich's flints, and he's dead honest: here's your flint, send some money if you like 'em.

how's that for a business model? crazy- the Wharton B-school types would say, but i'll be dealing with Rich after they've all had their naked short sells brought back on a margin recall!

(OK- that's the end of the tantrum)

don't worry about duraflints- i think this was something of a passing fad, and i'm usually willing to try something once to see if it works, but i really shoot flint for the connection to the way things used to be (or, more exactly, the way we want and hope things used to be)... ole timey without the constrictions of HC/PC. So i tried the duraflint once and didn't really like it, so i went back to plain old flint.

it works for me- if you want to do something different, tha is, of course, entirely your right.

one guy's opinion, and no doubt worth what you just paid for it!

Like several things associated with flintlock shooting, Duraflints were and answer to a problem we didn’t have.

Back