• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry firing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a short piece of neoprene fuel line on the nipple & dry-fire away.

Dry firing your TC without something to protect the nipple will undoubtedly damage the nipple.

The mushrooming on the nipple will prevent percussion caps from seating properly and it usually causes a failure to fire once the gun is loaded and capped.

Some people have put a small rubber faucet washer over the cone of the nipple to cushion the hammer blow.
Others have placed a short piece of small brass tubing over the nipple cone to do the same thing.

If you are setting the set triggers before firing and you have an active imagination and can envision the hammer falling when you hear the "click" of the set trigger releasing, try this:

Leaving the hammer down against the nipple, set the rear set trigger, take aim and pull the front trigger. Imagine the click of the set trigger being the same as the gun firing.

Double set triggers can be repetidely fired thousands of times without causing any damage as long as this is done with the hammer resting on the nipple .

Do not cock the hammer to the half cock position before doing this.

If the hammer is left in the half cock position and the cocked set triggers are released it can break the nose on the lock sear and/or break the half cock notch in the tumbler.

One can make a small tab out of scrap leather to take the impact of the hammer hitting the nipple. One can also fashion a wood flint for dry fire practice with a flintlock.

I use tubing from my mother inlaw’s nebulizer or I guess you could also use aquarium tubing as well?

I cut the tubing in small sections as to where you have about 1/8” of extra tubing hanging over the cone of the nipple. That gives me that extra cushion on the nipple from hammer strikes.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Double set triggers can be repetidely fired thousands of times without causing any damage as long as this is done with the hammer resting on the nipple .

Do not cock the hammer to the half cock position before doing this.

If the hammer is left in the half cock position and the cocked set triggers are released it can break the nose on the lock sear and/or break the half cock notch in the tumbler.

Worth repeating. Good info about which there has been a lot of mis-information at times.
Good post. :thumbsup:

Cowboy, that same tubing cut to be flush with the top of a capped nipple will seal it from rain and will still fire the cap.

Any auto parts store sells little soft rubber caps, used to block off unused vacuum ports on a carburetor. These make good protectors for your nipple for dry firing. Keep yer powder dry...”¦”¦.robin :hmm:

The little rubber grommets that are used on auto brake bleeders fit the nipple pretty well.

Crazy glue a pencil eraser inside the hammer. Will need to remove w/acetone.

Back