• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dovetail jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba.50

Barefoot Hillbilly
Reaction score
where can i find a dovetail jig for filing my own dovetail? typed it in every way i could think of and can't get anything to come up on brownell's and one on midway looks to be for round barrel only. lot of stuff comes up if yer makin' a cabinet or dresser drawer. bought a renegade that someone evidently tried to shoot a stuck bullet from and now it has a nice ring around the barrel about 6in from the muzzle. gonna try to make me a "carbine" out of it. thanks for listenin' and any help, bubba.

I bought one from TOW. Can't say that I like it. I ended up just doing it freehand.

I don't use a jig for cutting dovetails in barrels, but maybe this will help. I mark the depth on the barrel on how deep I want the dovetail. If on an octogon barrel I use a marker and color the two angle flats then use a simple depth gauge or old set of calipers to mark the depth by scribing a line. Cut down to the line with a hacksaw and clean up with a sharp 3 cornered file.

Cain's Outdoors used to have them. Don't think ya really need one. I even made one years ago & they are more trouble than worth, IMHO.
Just take your time, make a Safe File & cut your own dovetails & file to fit.
First 4 Dovetails I did took me a hour each to do them as I was so scared of messing them up & etc. Now I can do 4 of them in 20 min., course that is hundreds of dovetails later too....

If you need some photos of how to do it, I have posted them before & can dig them up again if needed.

Keith Lisle

Dixie Gun Works and midwayusa.com have one and Midway has a demostration video on their web site. Make sure you use a file with a safe side. Good luck.

Frank, Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back